Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ramshorn Snail?

Started by washefuzzy, March 28, 2007, 11:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

I think you'd be fine.
There's a list of fish as a sticky on the discussion forum at applesnail.net that people keep succesfully with snails.
I suspect white clouds would be fine, but can't base that on any experience.  I keep mine with danios and lampeye killis among others without any issues.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

babblefish1960

I agree with Laura, there are many nice fish you can have with the snails, all of them reasonably nice too.

As for the word you didn't wish to hear, I wanted to point out that the very reason for MTS, multiple tank syndrome, which you now have, is because we often find fishes and other things in the water that can't really be together, but we like them all, hence the need for more tanks. Don't feel bad, you still have lots of space around you to accommodate all manner of aquariums. ;)

washefuzzy

NOOOOOOO.......... no more aquarium, I think she's going to blow Captain! :o

Melody

Many fish are compatible with snails, some aren't, some of the same species are or aren't depending on their personality....lol....kinda have to play it by ear.  As long as the fish aren't overly large or aggressive, you should be ok.  Marisas prefer the night so they usually manage to get enough food, especially if you sneak some in when the lights go out.

As for plants, I don't find them to be voracious plant eaters, but they will eat them.  They are fine with the tougher plants, in my experience, such as Anubias.  If you have a lot of expensive, tender plants, I'd be doing some thorough testing before setting them loose, just in case. :-\

This is all supposing we're talking about Marisas, like these?

One of my fave plant-eaters actually, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Just a note on Goldfish - it is said that they will eat snails and it can cause them digestive problems.  I don't keep Goldfish anymore so I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it makes sense in view of the Goldfish digestive system.  A heads-up if nothing else.   :)

washefuzzy

The gold one is a Marisa to? Ive' got a lovely little 10 gal I'm setting up today for the 2 striped ramshorns.

Melody

Yup, they're both Marisas.  There is an array of stripe patterns and the solid gold/caramel color.  There are lots of snail varieties out there - you can have a look around while the tank is cycling.  You have lotsa great snail breeders in Ontario if you decide to expand your 'collection'.  I can put you in touch with a couple of them when the time comes if you like. :)

babblefish1960

That is a very good offer if I ever heard one washefuzzy, Melody is an supersonically connected Uber snail weirdo with tonnes of great information on these fine delicacies.

And I will add simply that having had these types of snails for many years, if you feed them and don't overstock, I never really had any noticeable chewing on my plants tanks, if you don't feed them, they will start to make a mess of them though.

Have fun with the MTS and the snails you snail weirdo! :)

washefuzzy

Thanks on the complement Babble!
Thanks Melody I'm having fun figure this all out.

estuary