Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2 Green Barbs staying at the top

Started by scorpion-stinger, March 29, 2007, 09:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorpion-stinger

HI, I got green barbs last week and out of 4, 2 are staying at the top and not swimming with others, \i also have 5 Albino barbs etc..  Does anyone know why 2 of the green barbs are at the top and not enjoying it's time with all other fish?

Thanks

KLKelly

First step in trouble shooting I would ask for your water parameters.  the basics - ph/temp/ammonia/nitrate/nitrite/gh.  Some fish are  extra sensitive.  Any other signs - laboured breathing, eating well, any external symptoms?

i'm not familiar with these fish.  All the fish that I have - if they go to the top I know they aren't feeling well - first thing I do if i notice this is test the water and do a water change if necessary.  I'm sure rainbow fish are different than barbs though ;)

scorpion-stinger

water is all ok, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrates 10, I do regular water changes I added salt and raised the temp to 80 ish and i'll see what that does in 24 - 36 hrs ;)

KLKelly

i'm sure some experts will provide additional feedback. 

I'm not sure what temperature barbs like - unless you are seeing external symptoms - like the start of ich, i wouldn't raise the temperature.  I could be mistaken but I think staying at the surface is oxygen seeking behaviour - warmer temps might decrease the oxygen uptake by them.

good numbers.