Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help needed with African Cichlid

Started by Papdul16, April 08, 2007, 12:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papdul16

Hi,

Can someone help me with my sick cichlids.  Four of them have white dots and one of the four is always hidding alone in a corner of the tank.  I already put some ick medication in the tank and it doesn't seems to help.

Can someone tell me what else can I do since it doesn't seems to help.  I read that Fish Salt help too, I have some, but I don't think I can use it with Cichlids.

Should I take the sick fish out of the tank?

Thank you in advance for your help.
7 tanks running of African cichlids

darkdep

Which tank has the sick fish?  (size of tank)

If it's Ick, you will want to gradually increase the water temperature (up to 82) and add 1tsp Salt per 5 gallons of water.  There is no difference whether you use "Aquarium salt", "coarse salt", "kosher salt", it's all essentially the same.  Just make sure you don't use Table Salt (as it has iodine in it).

Hiding in the corner is a sign of stress.  Is there any aggression in the tank?

Papdul16

It's a 90 gallons.

I did raise the water above 80 degres.

The one that was hidding in the corner seems to be more active now.

There is not really any bosses in the aquarium.  They seem to be getting along well.

I will put salt.  Should I take them out and put them in a smaller tank?

Thanks for the info.

darkdep

If they are the only ones sick, then you may want to.  If it was me, I'd salt the whole tank.  Looking at your sig, I don't see anything that couldn't handle it.

oenology

If it's not ick then it could be hole-in-the-head disease aka hexamita. Do the white spots look like pimples? If so then you should be treating the tank with metronidazole. Do a search and find some photos of the 2 diseases.

Papdul16

Thanks for the info

They seem to be a lot better today, most of the white sdots are gone.