Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

pH Calibration Checker - Simulator

Started by clouxles, April 24, 2007, 12:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clouxles

I spend about $30.00 a year on calibration fluid for my PH Meter\monitor (s) I stumbled across this item this morning and wondering if anyone has ever used one and the results... It won't work on my meter  (due to hookup) but once the montor is calibrated I could use that (tank) as a baseline.

Pros
Less mess
Cheaper in long run
Another toy

Cons
Initial outlay
Can only do controller with hookup
Needs a bettery

Any feedback would be appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

BigDaddy

Given that it is for in tank monitors (like a Milwaukee or a PinPoint), I find it kinda odd.  The in tank units typically (not speaking from experience but from experiences I've read) require less calibration that the hand held units you and I are using.

I guess if you had multiple units it would come in handy... I suppose it depends on the cost of the unit too....

Shrimpy

That looks like a cheap pH simulator which will calibrate your pH meter, but not your probe. I'd say 98% of the problems with pH equipment unaccuracy is with the probe, not the meter. Most probe problems are due to lack of ph Probe care caused by the end user. I'd stick to your cal fluids and not waste your money on a pH simulator IMO.

Shrimpy

If you ever want to check if your pH meter (not probe) is good and accurate, simply short the end where the probe connects. It should read 7.00 as a reading of 7.00 is 0 mV. :)  A good pH meter should have a connector that acts as a short, but the cheapos don't.  ::)

clouxles

That makes sense...  fluids it is.

Thanks
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

BigDaddy

Hey Mark.. check out my cali solution group order thread and let me know if you want in!