Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

filter with stocking

Started by washefuzzy, April 26, 2007, 01:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

I have had to put a stocking on the end of my filter to protect my Endlers. Will the stocking, having such small holes, change the filters ability to keep my water properly clean. Are there store bought alternatives to the stocking that would work better?

KLKelly

I use a small filter sponge cut it so its about 1/4inch or more larger than the intake (depending on how much I want to baffle the flow).  I cut a line through the centre so it fits over the intake.  You can squeeze it out in discarded tank water with each water change to keep it clean.  I'm sure others will have some great suggestions.

FishBuddy

I used a piece of foam (from the Aquaclear-series HOB), make a cut, and stuff it in the filter intake.  It works real well and I take it out to rinse it once in a while.  It also acts as a pre-filter so this helps to keep the canister/HOB foam cleaner :-)

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

washefuzzy

That nice and easy and cheap I have some of those lying around.
Thanks KLKelly and FishBuddy.  :)

sas

A word of caution though make sure you check the sponge often, since with the smaller holes it will clog if you've got small plantlets or other debris floating and will stop the water flow. HTH

washefuzzy

SAS that's the beauty of the sponge. I feed my snails things like collards and zukes and the sponge will catch it and I can just rinse out the sponges ever couple of days. I'm so happy! :D