New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Green Thoughts

Started by Crumpet, May 29, 2007, 01:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crumpet

Just thinking some thoughts here

I really like that OVAS is participating in the Ottawa River Clean-up, and has ideas on conservation.  One idea I thought about last night after the meeting was the promotion of re-useable drinking cups at the meetings.  I noticed in the OVAS store, the two items for sale are the memberships and T-shirts, but got to thinking about OVAS mugs.  Not sure if there is an interest there, but I think it would be neat if we had official mugs, or travelling mugs.  Then, instead of styrofoam or paper cups at cookie time, we could haul out our environmentally friendly drinking containers.  We could have them for sale at the meetings like we do the shirts, and maybe to promote the use of bringing a mug from home, the greenies would get an extra raffle ticket or some other incentive.

Any other ways we can make OVAS more green?

busdriver

Quote from: Crumpet on May 29, 2007, 01:08:32 PM
Just thinking some thoughts here

I really like that OVAS is participating in the Ottawa River Clean-up, and has ideas on conservation.  One idea I thought about last night after the meeting was the promotion of re-useable drinking cups at the meetings.  I noticed in the OVAS store, the two items for sale are the memberships and T-shirts, but got to thinking about OVAS mugs.  Not sure if there is an interest there, but I think it would be neat if we had official mugs, or travelling mugs.  Then, instead of styrofoam or paper cups at cookie time, we could haul out our environmentally friendly drinking containers.  We could have them for sale at the meetings like we do the shirts, and maybe to promote the use of bringing a mug from home, the greenies would get an extra raffle ticket or some other incentive.

Any other ways we can make OVAS more green?
I for one would be interested in a Coffe cup with OVAS on the side, good advertising. :)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

PaleoFishGirl

I like the mug idea but they're not all that portable, I wouldn't lug one to a meeting. How about stainless steel travel mugs instead? :)

Excellent thought, Crumpet - we make a *lot* of garbage in an evening and most of it is styrofoam cups.

RoxyDog

great thought...but if I get one more travel mug I shall use it to beat myself over the head.   :-\  I do hate using those foam cups though.  :(
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Crumpet

Quote from: RoxyDog on May 29, 2007, 01:58:20 PM
great thought...but if I get one more travel mug I shall use it to beat myself over the head.   :-\  I do hate using those foam cups though.  :(

LOL Roxy  You could bring one of your many travel mugs to the meeting, a different one for each month  :)
I mostly wanted to mention having them in the OVAS store, so if people were inclined, they can have something Ovasy to drink from at the meetings.  I like travel mugs  8) but I also like having the option of a regular coffee cup as well.  To use when I'm not at a meeting  :) Is it possible to have both available?

darkdep

Maybe you want to run for the Conservation chair if we establish it :)

artw

It's nice to see people re-using pails and buckets of sorts, commonly available out the back of your local Tim Hortons or deli.

Laura

My understanding is that paper cups are waxed, thus rendering them not good for recycling, although I'm sure they are better than styro.

I like the bring your own mug and get an extra door prize ticket idea - that's a great promotion.  Having some disposable is good for folks who don't have their own mug though.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

washefuzzy

I like all 3 idea, sell mugs, bring own mug get extra ticket and paper cups(everthing taste horrible in styrofoam) for these in need of a cup.
But I'm not to worried about coffee it's the cookies I go to the meetings for. :)

Crumpet

Quote from: Laura on May 29, 2007, 04:40:53 PM
My understanding is that paper cups are waxed, thus rendering them not good for recycling, although I'm sure they are better than styro.

I like the bring your own mug and get an extra door prize ticket idea - that's a great promotion.  Having some disposable is good for folks who don't have their own mug though.

I agree, paper's not so good either, but better than styrofoam.  It's one of those things where I know not everyone is keen on taking their own cup, but for those who do, maybe should get a reward of some kind.  I mean, we lug pails of gravel and slate to the meetings, is a travel mug a big encumbrance by comparison?  Just being cheeky, but you know what I mean  :)

I also think it would be good if we had a blue box at the meetings for pop cans and other recyclables.  I don't think I saw one at the JP centre . . .  When I worked at BA Innes, I started a recycling program, bringing the recyclables to my building's big bins, as there was only cardboard/paper pick up at the store.  I don't mind doing this for the meetings, or sharing the responsibility with others.

succinctfish

Great ideas, Trina(alongfortheride) mentioned this to idea to me Monday at our last meeting,and I've been pondering it since then.  It's good that we are thinking about making a difference in our impact on the environment.  I agree, it would be nice to have options, and OVAS mugs are a cool idea.  In the meantime, I guess we could bring our own travel mugs to make a more planet friendly choice. 
JP does have blue recycling bins for cans and bottles just across from the room we use for meetings, near the washrooms. 

Crumpet

Quote from: succinctfish on May 29, 2007, 11:37:24 PM
JP does have blue recycling bins for cans and bottles just across from the room we use for meetings, near the washrooms. 

Right on -- just shows how observant I am  :-\  Now that I know where they are, I will definitely use them if I ever need to -- no more taking the rattle-y pop bottles and cans home with me!  :)

Saltcreep

Great idea! I attended many Scouting activities over the years where if you didn't 'lug-a-mug', you didn't drink.