Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Moving conversations to the Lounge.

Started by Mettle, May 09, 2007, 09:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

I don't think we're attracting people 'away' from other sites (as grammatically incorrect as that is, sorry :D )... I think we're giving people a great local resource with many knowledgeable people. But as with any hobby group we just have to be careful not to succumb to internal politics, in fighting and elitism. That's all. I see it with every forum/hobby I am a part of.

fishycanuck

As a great squirrel once said, "less pettifoggery please!"
I think we need a forum for those who like to stir things up, and another for those who want to criticize. Perhaps a third one for those who like to do both.

rockgarden

Completely off topic as usual ;) but the first club that I founded was called the Lizard Aquarium Society because iguana's and red-bellied newts were just as popular as fish in those days. 

However, unless OVAS changes their constitution, it would appear that OVAS has been formed to respond to the needs and interests of those with aquatic beings housed in glass with at least a bit of water. And no, I have no more against snakes than I have against African Cichlids  ;D but one is in and one is not in and the fact that the Lounge is available for members to discuss their herps, puppies or whatever seems like a reasonable compromise to me.  WRT should a non-member's post be moved to a 'member-only' area is a completely different issue. On the one hand, there is some benefit (although limited) to the non-member in that someone from the membership might be interested in responding and do so while on the other hand the non-member would only find out about the subsequent discussion if someone sends a PM. Sounds like that is the kind of decision that we pay the executive the big bucks (free cookies?) for making. Those who don't like such decisions should consider putting their name forward for a position on next year's executive and soon come to realize the effort such individuals do to consider everyone.  To even suggest that our current executive is being elitist is totally unfair!!!.

Ron