Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

AquaClear filter

Started by washefuzzy, May 26, 2007, 11:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

I have an aqua clear 50. Sometimes the motor starts and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't start I open up the motor chamber jiggle the thingy inside put it all back together and vola it works.
Why does it do this and can i buy a part to fix it? Pondering whether I should get a new one before this one totally conks out on me.

darkdep

It's not an uncommon occurrence.  I usually just pull off the intake tube, and stick my finger in, tapping the impeller a few times until it starts.

washefuzzy

Thanks DD and D2 should fix my problem. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't on it's last leg. :)

audioslave_36

I have three ac minis and one has been doing that for quite sometime now, but doesn't seem to affect performance at all.
great filters, even if they need a kick start every once in a while :)

Dave

Adam

I use the inside of a pen so my fingers aren't knocked around when it starts.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

audioslave_36

Quote from: Adam on May 27, 2007, 10:55:10 AM
I use the inside of a pen so my fingers aren't knocked around when it starts.

Me too :)

washefuzzy

Pen good idea like to keep my nails from breaking ;D
I like these filters to only kind I have ever used.

RedFish

Mine kept doing that, not starting, and then it got noisy, so a few months ago I bought a new impeller and now it runs continuously and quietly.   Great filters.

washefuzzy

I've seen propeller's at Pet Circus. HMMM. :)

RedFish

I remember I replace the propeller and the shaft, not just the propeller.

washefuzzy

Whoops I meant impeller din't notice I had wrote propeller :)

FishBuddy

Quote from: washefuzzy on May 27, 2007, 09:54:16 PM
Pen good idea like to keep my nails from breaking ;D
I like these filters to only kind I have ever used.

I just 'kick-started' my Aquaclear 200 (50) yesterday with a toothpick :-)  Yup, great HOB alright.  Mine was 18 years old as it was bought in 1989.   But then it was in storage for the last 15 years...  Still, it starts right away when I plug it in.  All parts are original and the unit is still intact...

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

washefuzzy

Thanks dan for the info but I'm not a total novice.  :)