Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Increasing Light

Started by coral, December 21, 2004, 02:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coral

I have a 33 gallon aquarium with a single 25 watt Aquaglow light.  I was told that I needed to change to a dual light canopy to increase my light for plants but I was checking them out and they are about $179.00.   Was wondering what other options I had.

DARKPHREAK

HomeDepot Light stripes 20-30$ each

Pisidan

I just bought a shop light and modified it for my tanks for plant growing the shop light cost me a total of 12 bucks!!

clouxles

DarkPhreak... I'm pseudo interested in the same thing... wouldn't there be a lot more than just buying a light strip.? Would not the base of the canopy have to be altered... Pisidan how did you do it? Pics please....
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

Pisidan

I bult my own canopy than installed the shop lights to it!!

DARKPHREAK

If you dont mind the way it looks you can just lay the stripe light over the top of the tank but make sure that water WILL NOT splash onto the bulbs. Or you can make you own canopy, 15$ of pine wood and paint, this is what I made.

clouxles

Very nice DF .... plants seem to be growing quite well ... is your CO2 injection DIY?

Thanks for the motivation. New Years project in planning.
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

DARKPHREAK

This tank is lucky to get a waterchange once a month. I dont add C02 but add trace ferts whenever I do a WC. Still have to cut the forest down 3-4 times a month!