Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Avoid Elite Submersible Aquarium Heaters

Started by porcupinepuffer, June 15, 2007, 12:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupinepuffer

This happened months ago, but I have yet to post this issue out of sheer lazyness, so here it finally goes... I bought an elite submersible heater, for my quarantine tank, when it was the only heater the store had. It was submersible and good for saltwater... I noticed that they have a type of paint around the heater tube, (for cosmetic purposes) to hide the sight of the heating element.
After carefully watching the tank, over the course of weeks, I noticed pieces of this paint were flaking off and floating around the tank... I even noticed a clown would go after it thinking it was food... I eventually took this wonderful heater out to see what the joke is. It looked a bit dirty aswell, so I thought I'd clean it up. I took a clean wet cloth, wiped down the heater element, and to my amazement, the paint wiped right off on the cloth as just a black film of crap.... After afew more wipes, every spec of this paint just wiped right off the heater.... I can't help but wonder what type of nasty effects this had on contaminating my tank water... I tried contacting hagen about it, but to my total surprise, their website doesn't work... so word of advice, don't buy this garbage.

sniggir

Thx for the heads up...I hope your fish and corals are okay
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

yellowtang

Next time I purchase one of those heaters
I will make sure I wipe the paint off.
other than that I see no problems with them
since I've been using them for quite some time
F/W & S/W.......LOL. ;D
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

kennyman

I never heard of them, but I am not overly fond of any Hagen product.

jimskoi

Thats too bad.
Yu must be one of the lucky ones that bought a product made on a monday.Lol.

I only use these heaters and have never had problem with them in any way.

bettabreeder

i have trusted elite heaters all the time. I use a varity of wattage heaters and they all work fine for me. I breed siamese fighting fish and i have an elite heater and i works fine in the tank that i have.