Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cheap cannister filter

Started by KLKelly, June 18, 2007, 04:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

Cannister filters are expensive  :o  and I would prefer new.  I thought I heard someone mention knock offs on this site once.  Are they worth looking into or should I wait for a sale (if they ever go on sale)?

Al

I guess I don't know what you consider expensive - but you usually get what you pay for. I have found the Eheim classic series to be very good value - depending on your tank size - a 2217 rated for 160 gallon tank - all media included and quick disconnects - you can get it at Big Al's for $199 - and they are rock solid performance and dependability. You can get cheaper cannisters but I believe the Eheim is the best out there. If you can forego the baskets and the easier cleaning the pro series allow, the classic series is excellent value - just buy a media bag to make it easier but it's not really necessary.
Regarding the knock offs, I have no direct experience, but have heard poor reports on other sites - poor dependability and hard to find parts when they do breakdown prematurely. Go see Big Al's -great deal in my books if you want new. I think there are a couple of 2026 and 2028 pro series used in the classifieds as well.
Good luck.

dan2x38

Quote from: Al on June 18, 2007, 07:22:31 PM
I guess I don't know what you consider expensive - but you usually get what you pay for. I have found the Eheim classic series to be very good value - depending on your tank size - a 2217 rated for 160 gallon tank - all media included and quick disconnects - you can get it at Big Al's for $199 - and they are rock solid performance and dependability. You can get cheaper cannisters but I believe the Eheim is the best out there. If you can forego the baskets and the easier cleaning the pro series allow, the classic series is excellent value - just buy a media bag to make it easier but it's not really necessary.
Regarding the knock offs, I have no direct experience, but have heard poor reports on other sites - poor dependability and hard to find parts when they do breakdown prematurely. Go see Big Al's -great deal in my books if you want new. I think there are a couple of 2026 and 2028 pro series used in the classifieds as well.
Good luck.

Big Al's give OVAS members a discount too... plus you collect points...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Mettle

I am in the process of buying myself a new Eheim filter. New to me anyway, because it's from a member here on the site  ;D  However, I have bought Fluvals in the past and currently am having lots of trouble with the one I have left. (I've owned three but sold off the other two with tanks.) I am very eager to get the Eheim, even though for the same price I could probably get a knock-off or a Fluval. It truly is worth saving your pennies and investing in a solid filter. I've heard countless stories about people having their Eheims for 10 or 15 years and only ever one bad story. And a lot of good stories about people buying used Eheims without issue or problem. Gotta be something behind that... I used to be a huge Fluval fan. Let's see if I can convert to Eheim now, heh.

dan2x38

Big Al's also has a price guarantee... if you can prove the price on the same item - not on sale - they will match it...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

SaZaBaZy

I will definately be a proud spokes person for Ehime.  I was die-hard marineland HOB b44 but then i bout 2 Ehime's and now i have 3 and they are a god send.  I had one problem with on of my Ehime 2026's and Andrew @ Big Al's Kanata was a great help.  Turnes out the whole motor assy needed 2 be replaced.  But after alot of water on the floor from there plant lader tank set-up, we found the fixed the problem.  Now i have 2x 2026, and 1x 2028 all working perfectly.  and the tanks are crystal clear.

Cheers Jordan

charlie

What size of tank are you planning to use the cannister on ?
Regards

KLKelly

It would be for my 90Gallon - goldfish so 170ish gph.

I've been reading up based on the recommendations - i see I missed a good deal on a used one.  Looks like eheim is preferred.  Looking around online for different prices.  If I didn't have to buy overpriced tires for my crappy volkswagen I could afford it this month :(

Saltcreep

Quote from: KLKelly on June 18, 2007, 04:21:27 PM
Cannister filters are expensive  :o  and I would prefer new.  I thought I heard someone mention knock offs on this site once.  Are they worth looking into or should I wait for a sale (if they ever go on sale)?

I'm almost sure that one of the forum sponsors offers the knock off filter you mention. I remember reading about it a while ago. Supposed to be pretty much an Ehiem clone at a much lower price. I thought the comments I had read were mostly positive too.

charlie

Quote from: KLKelly on June 19, 2007, 02:19:07 PM
It would be for my 90Gallon - goldfish so 170ish gph.

I've been reading up based on the recommendations - i see I missed a good deal on a used one.  Looks like eheim is preferred.  Looking around online for different prices.  If I didn't have to buy overpriced tires for my crappy volkswagen I could afford it this month :(
PM ottawa discuss, he can ge both the eheims & the knock off.
Regards

beowulf

I believe the knockoff is called the Astro something or other and Toss has one for sale in the classifieds.