Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tips for Tangyanikans

Started by mseguin, June 23, 2007, 12:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mseguin

I have just acquired a 58 gallon tank that I plan on turning into a Tang system. My plan is to go with some variation of: a trio of smaller julies, some shelldwellers, Leleupi, brichardi, and whatever else cool I can think of. (I'm hopnig to find some Tangyanikan lampeyes to put in there.) Anybody have any other suggestions?
Also, what do yuo feed your Tangs?

sniggir

in my 160 I have blue faced brichardi, feather finned brichardi, 1 pair of judiochromis marlari, 4 kavalla frontosa and 3 black calvus... I feed them pellets in the morning and frozen at night which could be... mysis, krill, brine shrimp, blood worm, trpical mix,... and now that I have babies dalphina, and tubflex worms... If you are going to get the brichardi I would only get 1 as they are very agressive when in groups.. but sounds like you have a great selection already... i love calvus/comps my self so I would add a nice Fire fin comp or 2.... have fun with your new tank there Mat
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

groan

eek! I have 15 brichardi!

Matt, if your intrested i'd be very intrested in selling some of these, so let me know.

They are the standard brichardi and these are quite small still. > 1 inch.

hamstercaster

Although I have limited experience in aquaria, I have a mix of Tangs and Malawis in my tank and I feed them all the same thing which varies between cichlids pellets or flakes.  I feed them like omnivores and they all eat without any problem.  I sometimes feed them a live earth worm that I have chopped beforehand and they love that alot!!  I have yet to try frozen bloodworms or anything like that yet but plan on doing so soon enough.  I also feed them dried bryne shrimp and shrimp pellets from time to time.  They all look great and healthy!!

mseguin

Does anyone here keep multiple types of Julies together. I'm getting a pair of transcriptus today, was perhaps thinking of adding a differnet kind later? Any major aggression issues, or cross-breeding?

sniggir

stay away from ornatus,,, and dickfield the others should be okay from what I have read. Ask Jason from al's kanata his show tank has 3 types of julies and he has ton's of exp with Tang's great guy
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

mseguin

Here's a pic of the tank so far
J. transcriptus, N. brichardi, N. leleupi so far.

[attachment deleted by admin]

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

beowulf

Very nice Matt.  What is your pH at?

mseguin

sniggir

beowulf

Quote from: mseguin on July 27, 2007, 10:55:22 AM
haven't measured it yet

Sounds so familiar...I checked mine once a couple of weeks after I set the tank up for the malawi, it was about 8.5 and I thought, that's ok so I have not checked it since.  ;D

Adam

Don't put shelldwellers in with leleupi or julidochromis...they're known to go into the shells and pull the shellies out.  Seems like you have a lot of rockdwellers as it is.  I would stick with what you have for now and let themselves establish a little bit.  Cyprichromis would fill out the top, but I'm not sure if your aquarium is going to be long/big enough.  What about some rainbows or other open water fish?
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers