Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tiger Shrimp with eggs!! Need advice

Started by Fishnut, July 01, 2007, 11:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I have 3 Tiger Shrimp in my tank.  The 2 largest have eggs!!  Clearly I have to take them out (see list of tank-mates in signature), but is there any alternative?  Perhaps one of those breeder nets?  How long until the eggs potentially hatch?  They've only been carrying them for max 4 days.  That's the last time they were out enough for me to see them clearly.

What are the chances that one of the other shrimp fathered the eggs?

Here's a pic.  Sorry for the quality, but it wasn't easy!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

plecoL83

Me I have no idea what to do but what cool shrimp you have there  :D

jetstream

The female will carry the eggs approx 3-4 weeks. The babies are in suppressed form, which means they look like miniature versions of the adults and don't need to go thru planktonic larval stage like your Amano shrimps.

Laura

In addition to jetstream's comments, you may want to do some research here.  http://www.petshrimp.com/tigershrimp.html.  Great site and lots of good info, but don't sign up and ask questions without doing all your research first.

It appears from this description that your cherry and tigers won't crossbreed (neither will your amanos), so you are safe on that front, however they have different needs wrt water condtions.

Generally in a community tank most baby shrimp will become dinner, although some may get away.

Good luck with your tigers!
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Fishnut

Thanks!  That was great information.  I have a small tank that was used for a betta...one of those 1 gallon units with an under gravell filter and incandescent light.  I was thinking of setting it up for the shrimp, but there's no heater.  I'll let you know what happens!