Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New to OVAS and to the Marine life

Started by Rox, April 25, 2007, 03:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rox

Hey everyone!  Well glad to see such a good site based in the Ottawa Valley! 

I am fairly new to the Saltwater hobby (6 months) and have just recently upgraded from 25g saltwater FOWLR to a 46 gallon bow setup (I believe it's 46 gallons -- aquarium and stand was given to me, but saw one just like it at Walmart).  My new setup will hopefully become more a reef tank than FOWLR.  I have just purchased T5 lighting and will be looking into some corals for beginners.

Like many, I made some mistakes along the way....with the one that I surely learned from is not having a quarantine tank (had a nice sixline wrasse and added 2 clowns 2 months later -- clowns were not well and so everyone in the tank died)! 

Can anyone tell me where is the best place to get LR in the area (not too pricy)?

charlie

Hi Rox, welcome to this wonderful community  ;), i`m not a salty but there are a couple of folks on this site , that good deals can be had ( live rock etc.) redbelly & ray are 2 that readily comes to mind.
Regards
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=16122.0

http://ovas.ca/index.php?board=18.0

beowulf

Welcome, sounds cool.  I only have a small 8.8G nano reef but marine is cool and the people on the marine board here are a great source of information.

sniggir

great to have ya aboard! Redbelly, Az, Ray all carry SW gear at great prices Redbelly is great guy to talk to about aquascaping, and can give ya hints on how to go the DIY route so you can save some money lighting and such.

90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

yellowtang

welcome to the club ...Buddy.this place is amazing for questions and anwsers.
if in doubt,don't be shy.....and ask away.
we have all started somewhere.
WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

Ellypho

Quote from: Rox on April 25, 2007, 03:08:20 PM
46 gallon bow setup (I believe it's 46 gallons -- aquarium and stand was given to me, but saw one just like it at Walmart). 

My favorite way to check especially with an odly shaped tank is to first weight the tank and then fill it with water.
Now that you have the weight of the water contained you look at the scale to see how many Kilograms it is. One kilograme of water is one litre. Now if you prefer imperial im more of a metric person myself you just divide the pounds by ten so the water in your tank is about 460 poundsi think im not 100% certain about imperialbut you can always convert your litres into gallons on the web there are many site that let you do it just google it

dan2x38

Nice to meet you ROX! I am a FW guy no salt in my blood yet...  ;) Have learned a lot here and know I will learn much more...  :) A lot of knowledgeable ppl here both FW & SW.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."