Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I have baby shrimp!

Started by Fishnut, July 20, 2007, 05:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I've had egg laden Tiger shrimp for about 2 weeks.  I took a gamble and moved them from my community tank and put them in their own tank.  I was lucky that the females weren't stressed out enough to drop their eggs. 

It's been a week in their new tank and I noticed there are no more eggs under the females, and a single micro size shrimp on the wall!!  It's so cute!  There must be others in there because each shrimp had atleast a dozen each, but I can't find them.  Hopefully they're all in the java moss.

Here's a pic of the underside of the hatchling.  Since it was sitting on the glass, I was able to measure...it's 4mm long.

[attachment deleted by admin]

babblefish1960

Well good for you, perhaps you can spy them more easily with a loupe of some sort, I can see it now, shrimp traumatized by giant eye peering at them through the glass. :)

Fishnut

Hahahahaha!  I can only imagine what goes through their head as we stare at them for ages at a time.

For those who don't know what tiger shrimp look like, here a pic of one of them, and a pic I got when they still had eggs:

zapisto

very nice tiger
but 4 mm mean the hatch 2 or 3 days ago (or even more) , are you sure you dont have an other female berried ?
i am pretty sure 4 mm is not a newly hatch tiger... :)

congrat 

Fishnut

Wow. 2-3 days?  Well I have 3 tigers...1 male and 2 females.  Those are the only shrimp in the tank.  Both females were berried at the same time.  I didn't look at them closely yesterday but I did the day before.  Both Females were still berried.  Interesting!

Fishnut

Here's a pic of one of the babies.  It put the cup on lined paper so you could see the size.  So far I've counted 7!

babblefish1960

Not enough for a good sandwich of course, but very cute all the same, well done shrimp mum! :)

zapisto

Fishnut

No news.  I think they're all doing well.  The parents are very active and there seems to be only 2 babies out at once...sometimes I don't see any!  They're definately getting bigger.  If I can trick one of them into swimming into a cup again, I'll take another picture.  My family is bringing me a couple of my 20 gallon tanks with a metal stand.  I'll be putting the shrimp in one of those tanks instead.  Hopefully I'll see more of them.