New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Recommendation for Glass Tops

Started by darkdep, July 10, 2007, 08:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

Today I am the happy owner of 9 new custom glass tops for all my 10gallon tanks.  Perfect fits, with gaps at the back for cords and airtubes.

Total cost:  $6.00 each.

Got them done at Rossen Glass and Mirror on Hazeldean road (Kanata).  Fantastic people to deal with, and super quick...I called in the order this morning at 11am, and they had them all wrapped up ready to go by 4pm.  Even with finished edges.

I highly recommend these guys.  No, they don't build tanks or drill existing tanks, but they do drill glass and cut you anything you want.  Considering the average glass top for a tank is $25-$40+ in the pet stores, $6.00 is a steal. 

www.rossenglass.com

Just call and tell them what you need.  They are very friendly and easy to deal with, even if you know nothing about glass (which I didn't when I first met them).

dan2x38

silly question... I guess no hinges?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

darkdep

Nope.  No hinges or slides; just single glass panes.

Faerin

I'll second the recommendation. I bought the glass for my sump from Rossen back in February or there abouts. I placed the order about 10 minutes before closing, and they had it all cut, polished, carefully wrapped and ready for pickup by 10am the next day at a very reasonable price.

RossW

Quote from: DarkDep on July 11, 2007, 07:53:05 AM
Nope.  No hinges or slides; just single glass panes.

This may seem like a stupid question... how do  you feed the fish?  Do you have to take the entire piece of glass off?

darkdep

Actually, for what I did, I left about a 1" gap at the back for wires, air tubing etc.  I generally feed there.  But on one tank (full of breeding nets) I do lift the whole pane of glass.  No biggie.

Lucie

Hi,
I found a quick, inexpensive way to add handles to glass tops. The ones they supplied all had Marineland written on them, which I found unsightly.
I used small suction cups from bathroom hooks from Canadian Tire (3/4" in diameter, transparent, and i removed the hooks)
It is perfect, small and discreet, and the cost is about 50 cents each.

Alchemist

Wondering if there might be a need for a "tips and tricks" thread section?  Things like this would go in it.