Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting help

Started by KLKelly, July 12, 2007, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I just set up a 30 gallon tank.  I bought a light-glo canopy and it takes the long bulbs.  All my other tanks have the curly bulbs.  I don't want to build a canopy for this tank because I love the look of this top.

It says it takes 2x20 watt bulbs.  I'd like to keep low light plants in it.  Can I buy larger than 20 watts though?  (I don't recall seeing anything larger at big al's).

Any recommendations?  I have two proposals due today so I can't research myself.  I'd like to go out and buy it right after work.

Also - there isn't a glass barrier where the bulbs go.  So if I turn on the bubble wall it splashes up.  Is this safe?

mseguin

Yeah the LightGlo hoods have waterproof end caps so they're safe for the bulbs to get wet. Just make sure then end caps have the rubber washer in them.

RoxyDog

Quote from: KLKelly on July 12, 2007, 10:32:51 AM
I just set up a 30 gallon tank.  I don't want to build a canopy for this tank because I love the look of this top.

It says it takes 2x20 watt bulbs.  I'd like to keep low light plants in it.  Can I buy larger than 20 watts though?  (I don't recall seeing anything larger at big al's).

I've had that exact tank and I love those canopies for the look (in fact BOTH of my tanks have those canopies  :)).  I changed the lighting in one (yes, it's a pita) and left the other.  when I had your size tank I grew swords, java fern, anubias, val, twisted val, crypts all very nicely.  and no, you can't buy larger than 20w, I asked that question too. 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

KLKelly

You guys are awesome.  Thankyou!

Glouglou

My friend receive some VHO replacement fluorescent from Hagen with electronic ballast 1/2 inches circ. They are awesome. They come in daylight color temp and in a purplish plant color...
I will investigate that...

BigDaddy

VHO is old technology now.  Most people have converted to T5 HO.

darkdep

Are there any advantages still to VHO at all?  I still see them a lot in Magazines...

Glouglou

VHO, is not old technology, it's only a term that designate what kind of output you get.

Fluorescent bulbs come in various intensities. Normal Output (NO), High Output (HO) and Very High Output (VHO).

HO Lamps:

Rated life between 9,000 - 12,000 hours
Operates at 800 milliamperes
Produce approximately 40% more light than a comparable length preheat, rapid start, or instant start T12 lamp.
Ranges in wattage from 25 watt to 135 watt
Ranges in length from 18 inches to 120 inches
VHO Lamps:

Rated life 10,000 hours
Operates at 1500 milliamperes
Produce approximately 50% more light than a comparable length preheat, rapid start, or instant start T12 lamp.
Ranges in wattage from 110 watt to 215 watt
Ranges in length from 48 inches to 96 inches

The HO, VHO will ask for a special ballast to be efficient, not the magnetic ballast in your normal canopy.

The light I saw is the answer from Hagen to pro lighting and they look excellent...

BigDaddy

Yes, I am aware of the differences between VHO and HO.  The reason I say VHO is "old technology" is because most mainstream lighting manufacturers are moving away from VHO setups to HO setups.  As per your own specs, they operate at half the amp rating of VHO and only provide 10% less than VHO when compared to a similar length tube.

For example, a 4 foot T5 HO at 54W puts out approx. 5000 lumens.  A 4 foot 110W VHO bulb puts out approx. 6000 lumens.

For half the wattage, you are getting almost identical energy output.  That's why VHO is on the way out.  There are far more efficient ways to get intense lighting using less electricity.

Glouglou

You right Big Daddy, Yep, I can see on my own spec VHO is not really efficient compare to HO.
I don't understand Hagen to not bring a HO setup????
::)