Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

? about betta's what else would be compatable with 1 betta in a 10 gal

Started by sniggir, July 09, 2007, 11:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sniggir

at my work the styling department.... house cleaning..... has gotten themselves a little betta... but theya re just keeping it in the jar they bought it in so iam going to donate my 10 gal that I am not using and was planing a little planted tank with some othe fish in it for them.... any suggestions as I only have ever kept AF cichlids.... and have no idea about these little guys other than thier aggression

any help would be great!

Pat
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

KLKelly

beowulf

Quote from: KLKelly on July 09, 2007, 11:53:31 AM
What about shrimp and colourful snails?

I would concur.  Will it have a heater and some filtration?  Having that would allow for a few small fish like some danios or small tetras. 

sniggir

90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

KLKelly

Some friends of mine in the States have the coolest blue, green and purple mystery snails.  They don't eat plants.  I want some of these for the npt I'll be setting up for my betta.  Someone recently recommended a canadian source for snails.  I forgot to bookmark it but I think this was it: http://www.northernsnails.com/

sniggir

to cool thx, I think I may get some dino's and some amano shrimp if they can co-exist.. I want this tank to be fairly easy to maintain as I won't be able to do daily work on it...

keep the suggestions comin

Pat

Laura

I would cautiously approach the shrimp/snail combo with bettas.  Depending on the bettas personality, they can make life miserable for snails, and very short for cherry shrimp.

It really is the luck of the draw though.  Roxydog keeps cherries with her betta but my mom's betta ate her cherry shrimp.  My betta stalked my ghost shrimp and I think killed one and my mom's betta harassed her snail so badly it rarely got a chance to come out of its shell.  I've heard of others doing great though.

In a 10, I would suggest some ottos and a school of small quick dithers like danio choprae until you know if yours is aggressive or not.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

RoxyDog

Laura is right, my betta behaves, mostly.  I think he picks off the baby shrimp, but he ignores the bigger ones and all of the snails completely.  I added one small SAE, and he drives it nuts, chases it constantly!

I'd say it's luck of the draw no matter what you put in with it...? 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

gonna_b_no_1

Baldrick

fender316

Quote from: beowulf on July 09, 2007, 12:27:42 PM
Having that would allow for a few small fish like some danios or small tetras. 

I'd be carefull there, I kept a school of neons with a male betta, and they are aggressive in a pack, nipped the betta's fins to death

babblefish1960

I agree with fender316, faster fish such as danios etc. can be a real nuisance to the slower fancy finned betta which could be harried incessantly.

beowulf

I guess it depends on the fish.  I had a betta in a 10g with about 6 neons with no issues at all.

bettabreeder

surprizingly my betta gets along fine whit gouramis in a 10g tank. it is medium planted and i had 3 females with him. there were only 2 dwarf gouramis.

Lucie

I kept a happy betta in a 10 gallon with 3 cardinal tetras ans 4 harlequin rasboras. All were really tiny, except for the betta. In the past I also kept a betta in a 3 gallon with one cardinal tetra and one platy. Both bettas lived for about one year, then got sick and died for unknown reasons...
I was told to be careful of fishes that might bite their fins in the bottom of the tank when they sleep (plecos, etc.).
Good luck!

featherfin

i would say two or three corydora catfish would be good, i had two in with a betta in a ten gallon tank once and it worked out great!

Brine

I know little about the Betta but, what about a female Betta or three?

beowulf

Quote from: Brine on July 15, 2007, 07:50:46 PM
I know little about the Betta but, what about a female Betta or three?

Could be a problem as the male can still be agressive towards them especially if he is in the "mood" and they are not or if one of them spawns with him he will chase them all the way to protct his nest.