Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium Silicone

Started by adam_ottawa, August 03, 2006, 09:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam_ottawa

I'm about to "glue" some rocks together for a new tank.

Can anyone tell me which type of silicone I want to make sure to buy that will be safe for the tank?

Thanks!

bitterman

Canadaian Tire has Silicon the sais FOR AQUARIUM USE on it. I think it was less then $4 a tube. Used it with no problems on my tank.

Bruce

Also check this:  http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21234

gvv

Never used GE silicone, but used CT one for FW tanks with success. I will let you know the part number when I will get home, for now this is "For Windows and Doors" silicone, but check if it is white or transparent. Never saw black, that I would prefer, as transparent can be colored by medicine...

Regards

adam_ottawa

Thanks a lot.

I'm not too concerned with the colour as the parts of the rocks that are going to be fastened together will be buried in the substrate.  Of course, I'm sure that could change since I'll be filling the tanks with Africans.  ;)

darkdep

GE Silicone I in the Blue Tube is also a good choice.

gvv

So, this "Window & Door" 67-0855-8 Mastercraft silicone.

gonzobluefuzz

This post here has quite a bit of info on silicone, do's and don'ts

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/27814-building-75g-all-glass-tank.html

yer gonna hafta skimm through tho  ..... lot's of other stuff in there as well  I found it to be rather informative......actually it kinda got the wheels turning  :( :)   If I only had the room   >:(  Looks like a fun project.

HTH
cheerz

UCGrafix

Here is the short version.

Silicone I " Window & Door " it the aquarium safe one ( see image supplied ).

You can pick it up pretty much any where, CDN Tire (same thing under there house brand ), Rona, Reno Depot, Home Depot, builders wharehouse and so on.

PS : Do not use the other Silicone I or II that have the mildew resistance, it's toxic to all fish.

[attachment deleted by admin]

adam_ottawa

Thanks for all the tips.  I'll be embarking on my project tomorrow night.  When it's all said and done, I'll definitely post pics!

gvv

Just found out yesterday that Mastercraft silicone was discontinued :(

RoxyDog

doesn't the GE 100% silicone rubber stuff say "not for aquarium use" right on it?  I didn't use it b/c of that.  if they have any left, SP Barrhaven has big tubes 1/2 off.  also, couldn't you use marine epoxy?  dunno if it'd be easier or harder to use...
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

bitterman

Quote from: gvv on July 19, 2007, 11:29:10 AM
Just found out yesterday that Mastercraft silicone was discontinued :(

I found that out also lately.. This might helpeveryone though.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21234

darkdep

Roxy:  The reason it says "Not for Aquarium Use" is because they are no longer interested in marketing it for that use.  It requires them to do testing to prove it's safety for that application.  The GE stuff DID used to say "Safe for Aquarium use" until several years ago.  GE themselves have stated all of this.

GE Silicone I in the blue tube:  Still your #1 safest bet.

veron

all HOMEHARDWARE stores carry silicone thats states ''FOR AQUARIUM USE'' thats what I used to build my 500g tank

babblefish1960

GE silicone I is preferred providing it has no additives for fungus and mould, GE silicone II will work as well, however, it sets up much faster and is therefore not as easily reworked once spread, quite quickly too.

To which brand of silicone at Home Hardware do you refer veron?

Iceman

Quote from: DarkDep on July 20, 2007, 07:02:51 AM
Roxy:  The reason it says "Not for Aquarium Use" is because they are no longer interested in marketing it for that use.  It requires them to do testing to prove it's safety for that application.  The GE stuff DID used to say "Safe for Aquarium use" until several years ago.  GE themselves have stated all of this.

GE Silicone I in the blue tube:  Still your #1 safest bet.

I would have to agree. I also believe GE is not interested in lawsuits from flooded dwellings.