Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Please help my beta fish - Thanks

Started by sickbeta, July 17, 2007, 12:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sickbeta

Hi,

I have had a beta fish for about 3 years and now it is very sick.  I know (now) that I haven't been feeding it enought, as I only did once a week.  I also only changed the water once.  It did stay clear so  I though It was okay. Now the fish has some fin and tail rot, his side fins are entirely gone.  He/ She is very thin and just lays at the bottom (on his side) and will not eat.  He seams to have a hard time breating. I didnt mean to hurt him.  Is there anything I can do now to make him better.  I got some good food (frozen shrimp brine and freeze dried  blood worms) but he will not eat.  I also started adding a tetracycline medicine for the fin and tail rot, I changed the water before this and removed the plant, it was living under a peace lily.
Any help wouldb e treat

beowulf

To be honest I am suprised he lived that long.  Three years is an average age for a betta so other then doing daily water changes (make sure you dechlrinated the water) there is likely not much you can do.  Sorry.

PaleoFishGirl

You only changed the water once in three years?  Keep trying with the meds and keep up your water changes, as beowulf suggested.  Sorry to hear about your poor fish!

sickbeta

Thanks for the advice and support so far.   He/She is no better.  The medicine seems to be helping the fin rot, but still no eating and now his underside is quite silvery and his gills seem inflamed.  I wish there was something more I could do.

Glouglou

featherfin

sorry about your fish. i've had bettas for a few years now and i've found that weekly or two weekly water changes work well for my fish. i think part of the problem is that your not changing the water often enough and that bacteria is polluting the water, do you have a filter? if so how often do you change it? because some filters actually start putting toxic chemicals back in the water if they are not changed often enough . keep up with the medication but three years is about the max lifespan for bettas. i noticed that you said he/she, betta males have much longer fins than females. 

good luck!

sickbeta

Thanks everybody for your advice and support,
Pon-Pon died yesterday.

beowulf

Sorry to hear that.  The only good thing is you came here so if you decide to get another betta, you will know from the start how best to care for him.

plecoL83

As for the topic of bettas not living very long that may be because the are  kept in very small boles where their muscles become atrophied another reason is temperatures bettas thrive in a temperture of 75F any lower their motabolisem slows dwon almost to a crawl, I had a betta for about 4 years and on some internet sites bettas have been redorded living up to 8 years! Although I do belive this may be a bit of a streach it is still something to consider.
Just though I'd share, :)

beowulf

Quote from: plecoL83 on July 21, 2007, 07:52:48 PM
As for the topic of bettas not living very long that may be because the are  kept in very small boles where their muscles become atrophied another reason is temperatures bettas thrive in a temperture of 75F any lower their motabolisem slows dwon almost to a crawl, I had a betta for about 4 years and on some internet sites bettas have been redorded living up to 8 years! Although I do belive this may be a bit of a streach it is still something to consider.
Just though I'd share, :)

On aquahobby.com there was a guy with a 9 year old betta.  It is possible but very rge.  I think if you can get 4-5 years be happy|!!