Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bottom feeders in a night tank

Started by LittleAngel104, July 19, 2007, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleAngel104

Hello everyone!

My fiancĂ© has set his mind on a night tank.  He already bought about 10 blind cave fish and he's heading out tonight to get some ghost knives. I was wondering what kind of bottom feeder (cory?? shrimp?? loach??) will do good in a tank that will nerver see the light of day.  The tank itself is in the bedroom,  the window is completely covered by a black cardboard (btw,  we're not vampires,  just night shif workers!  lol!).  Anyway,  whatever bottom feeder we'll choose,  I sure he won't see light very often.  I'm open to suggestions so please feel free to give me your opinion.  I'll wait patiently!  Thanks all,

MĂ©lissa

mseguin

Loaches would probably be fine, as they tend to be shy and might be out more in the dark.

Laura

Raphael cats?  I know my bristlenose pleco is never out during the day - I assume he comes out at night....

I would check the ph needs though - I though cavefish liked hard alkaline water and ghost knives and many catfish incl loaches like softer acid water.

I see from your list that your night tank is only a 25 gallon.  IMO that's much too small for knives, and is too small for many loaches as they like company.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

kennyman

Kuhli loaches are nighttime critters and cute little scavengers as well. You already have some. Do you like them?

beowulf

What size tank?  With the ghost knife I am guessing pretty decent size.

plecoL83

Yes a 25 is definantly two small for knives, as for bottom feeders almost anykind of pleco works well as they are normaly noctural by nature, may I suggest a bristle nose cat fish they have some nice ones at Big als and for a good price, I see mine all the time but he's the most active at night plus they clean up almost all algea. :)

plecoL83

Just to throw in somthing more blind cave tetras even if they are born in a aquarium super brightly lit they will still get that skin that comes over and seals their eye.... bizzare?