Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Corydoras semiaquilus blackperu spawning success

Started by Woody, April 09, 2006, 03:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

Well after months of having spawns eaten by the male, I finally have success. This afternoon I am pulling eggs out of the spawning mop, I am guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 eggs, and they are relatively small for such a large corydoras.

Now for the fun part, growing them out.

Woody

Aiglos

Congrats Woody !!!!!!!

Its that time of year !

how are you growing them out? Anything special?

babblefish1960

Congratulations Woody on becoming a surrogate mother to 400 corys.

By the way, what is your spawning mop made out of?

Seanc

thats great! 400 thats alot of little fish. good luck growing them out!

Woody

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I also pulled about 200 Corydoras Pygmaeus eggs today, I missed them because they were on the underside of the java moss. There's fungus on most of them, but the eggs are still tan in colour. Hopefully I can save them.
Lots of fungicide and regular water changes.
I use 100% acrylic yarn green in colur I purchased from Zellers. 1.98 a roll and it makes three spawning mops. Ijust boil them for a minute and they sink. I have to make some more as my Adolphi, narcissus and sterbai are so gravid they look like they will burst.

Aiglos  I remove the eggs and hatch them in tupperware containers about 2 inches deep. Keep them there until they are freeswimming and over the few days change their water over to regular tapwater parameters. I use soft acid water for spawning.
I am setting up a series of ten gallons in my kitchen, 5 or 6, and will keep them there for the next month or so, gradually deepening the water from 2 inches up to six inches, or to the point I can get a filter in.
Then grow them to about 1 inch when they should be save for 20 gallon longs.

I should write up an article for Planetcatfish as I have experimented with these fish for the last six months, I have two trios in two seperate aquariums and only have spawnings from the ones in an unheated aquarium.

Woody

Fishysan

Hi ya Woody,

If you do raise sterbai - let me know, I'll take 20+ off your hands (not ready for them yet, but you probably don't have them yet either :) ).

Hope the semis are doing well!

Cheers.

babblefish1960

So how has this exercise panned out? Have you had any further developments with this little corydoras?