Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium Social?

Started by busdriver, February 11, 2007, 01:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busdriver

I was wondering if it is possible to have an aquarium social?
Following along the lines of a tea social.
When Art, Jody, Chelsea, Mila and Randy came to help with the new aquarium, it was nice to sit around and talk about fish and aquariums in a small group.
We could go to different houses once a week, sit around, drink coffee or whatever and get ideas about fish etc. on a personal level.
I find the once a month meeting great, but small groups also work great.
Anyone else ever consider doing this?
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

FishPassion

Sounds like a very good idea Im just wondering if anyone would travel way out here to where I live,its an hour away.
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

babblefish1960

No way man, fish people are crazy! :D

This has some merit, however, people have very busy lives, especially on the weekends as they have tank maintenance, stock replenishing, oh, and something very odd, "real lives" with groceries and movies and whatnot. Like fish keeping isn't real life or something.

I'm sure there are lots of folks that like to chat fish, it is very nice to see other people's setups for sure. I can see it now, fish visits with lasagna and cake. :)

busdriver

Quote from: FishPassion on February 11, 2007, 01:57:37 PM
Sounds like a very good idea Im just wondering if anyone would travel way out here to where I live,its an hour away.
I would, I like driving and if there is something to see when I get where I'm going, all the better.

charlie

I like the idea, but for me , i can only accommodate 6 people tops ( apartment)
Regards

zippity

Zippitygirl and I are keen on this too, I am sure others are too. As for a nice afternoon chatting to friends, having coffee/tea/beer, and seeing other setups, I have always enjoyed this very much, and it is because of seeing many other people's setups I have done mine the way I do and have appreciated the knowledge shared. With our monthly meeting, even 1x once a month a different person can hold something like this, so perhaps middle of each month and then we have our monthly meeting/auction, so for people interested it can be bi-weekly chats and humour and cake/cookies.

I too can vouch for charlie's apartment, besides me and my ego, 3 other people max. in that apt.

cheers,

Terry

Sue

Thats an interesting idea. Its been a while since we did it, but in the past we've done  fish room tours (all on one day and we stopped at any given house for less than 30 min). Your idea is to sort of to go to just one place, on a given weekend. Sounds like it could work, in as an un-official sort gathering.

groan

Sounds fun!
I was considering something along the same lines, but for OVASians with kids, sort of an OVAS play date.
I have a large school yard in the back with playgrounds. Might be fun to sit around and watch the kids, talk about fish and dringk BEER! (since everyone thinks i am such a lush)

anywasy, great idea!

busdriver

Soooooo, who wants to be first, I'll volunteer, but I still consider myself a newbee.
I would like to see some established tanks, I would also like to see tanks that have sumps and ones with all the bells and whistles, if you know what I mean.

beowulf

Quote from: busdriver on February 13, 2007, 05:50:34 PM
Soooooo, who wants to be first, I'll volunteer, but I still consider myself a newbee.
I would like to see some established tanks, I would also like to see tanks that have sumps and ones with all the bells and whistles, if you know what I mean.

I won't be inviting anyone anytime soon...to scared they might meet the crazy landlord or the ceilling might fall on their heads.

busdriver

Quote from: beowulf on February 13, 2007, 05:56:18 PM
I won't be inviting anyone anytime soon...to scared they might meet the crazy landlord or the ceilling might fall on their heads.
I understand you are moving to Ontario in April?

beowulf

Quote from: busdriver on February 13, 2007, 08:08:35 PM
I understand you are moving to Ontario in April?

Indead then I would have no problem having some people over...well once we are settled.

cory

IF anyone wants to help level my tanks (drain it , fix it , and set it back up) let me know...u could have a social :P

dan2x38

Now I've been around for a little bit been able to look through threads I'd not read. I saw this one got interested. What happened to this idea? It sounds like a good idea especially now with no meetings until end of Sept.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

alongfortheride

The idea of an aquarium social is a good one. There is a MASO meeting every few months that is basically that. It is for Marine aquariums, but I can see it working well for OVAS too. For MASO one person hosts, everyone else brings tastey snacks and drinks and the afternoon is spent yabbing about this or that fishy thing. I would love to see one done through OVAS. I can promise I will bring a cherry pie to the first one.

babblefish1960

Quote from: alongfortheride on July 03, 2007, 12:21:15 AM
I can promise I will bring a cherry pie to the first one.
I am all for this idea just for that first pie alone! ;)

dan2x38

well my wife is a chef... ;) great baker...  :D
Voltaire:

dan2x38

What ever happened to this idea? Fall is coming less outside time...  :( Cabin fever usually not far off...
Voltaire: