Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My recent accomplishment

Started by Chinaman, July 27, 2007, 08:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chinaman

I meant to re-adhere my tank background after Darkdep shared his
experience on the how-to.   Then I procrastinated. 

But I did it finally, on Wednesday night.

And I tell you, as Chris wrote " It's like day and night"

Although the result wasn't all that perfect as there are some small isolated air pockets,
still it looks a lot better. Now that I tried it, I might re-do it.

Sam

BigDaddy

Hey Chinaman

Yeah, those airpockets can be a bit of a pain... but the overall look is SO much better than just taping a background on.

RossW

Can I ask what is the secret to re-adhere?

I saw some product at BA the other day which looked really interesting but I did not buy.

Ross

darkdep

audioslave_36

I might add here that I have tried the "sea view" from big Al's and I have tried the Vaseline, and in my opinion the Vaseline works better. But that is just my two cents.

Dave

RoxyDog

aaaaaand...you just put the vaseline on the tank, slap the background on and smooth it out?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

darkdep

Pretty much.  Smear it all over the back in a thin coating.  Put on the background, making sure to fit it under the trim, and use a stiff flat object to squeegee it completely and try to get out all the air.  I used an old credit card, someone suggested a hardcover book once that seems like a good idea. 

Go over it over and over, and then over again.  Some of the air bubbles might not show up for a while so spend the extra time now.  I have two of the 6 I did with air bubbles and they were the ones I spent less time squeegeeing.

audioslave_36

I used a 3m window film application squeegee and it worked great.  :)

and I should add also you pay 7$ for sea view and it is barely enough to do a 48" x 24" surface, so the vaseline is cheapper too.

RoxyDog

wonder how this would work on a rimless tank?  if you have to take the canopy off, which I often do during water changes, you take the "trim" off too.  does the background move around easily?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

audioslave_36

no it doesn't move very easily but if the trim fits tight to the glass you might have an issue there.

RossW

Quote from: DarkDep on July 27, 2007, 09:46:35 AM
The secret is...Vaseline.  :)

Sweet!  Thanx for that.

Sorry for the thread jacking of sorts.