Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mag pump stopped working

Started by KLKelly, July 24, 2007, 11:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I bought a pump at the end of the in the later part of last year.  I think its called a Mag500 from Big Al's.  It does 5 or 600 gallons per hour.

It stopped working tonight.  I thought I would post here first before I told my husband it stopped working and risk him tinkering with it.

I only use it for 24 hours once a week to run water in my trickle tower for water changes.  I use it to pump the water into my tank also (on the other side of the wall).

Tonight when I plugged it in to fill the tank it didn't do anything.  I lifted it out of the water and it reacted to the air and once put into the water pumped again.  I had to stop the pump a few times because my other tank is too far away and I have to fill up five gallons jugs (only 15 gallon water change in that tank).

The pump cost over $100 so I expected it to last a lot longer since it isn't running continuously.  It seems dead now.  I

Any ideas what is wrong and if I can fix it.  tried a different outlet and it still didn't work.

Thanks guys.

Karrie

porcupinepuffer

I wouldn't be afraid to open up the pump cover. Check it out for debris, and see how the impeller rotates. If anything, it sounds like you'll need a replacement impeller. The magnet may be getting weak. You can buy just a new impeller off an online store posted below.

http://www.pondsonlinecanada.com/npall1.htm#PARTS

Part number 12575

mseguin

If you're turning it on and off, its very possible it jsut needs to be cleaned out. Sometimes magnetic impellers have trouble starting up again after being shut off for a bit.

bitterman

If you are using it in hard water you are supose to remove some of the parts and soak then in vinager over night every so often. This is re remove the calcium buildups on the pumps. In time this buildup makes them draw more power and/or stop working at some point.

Bruce

KLKelly

Thanks for the feedback.  I do have hard water so that would make sense.  I hope we can fix it.

Thanks for the link on the replacement part site also!

Karrie

babblefish1960

Quote from: KLKelly on July 24, 2007, 11:55:40 PM
I thought I would post here first before I told my husband it stopped working and risk him tinkering with it.
I am still chortling over this one, good luck with telling your husband and it should be fairly straightforward to investigate the problem. :)

charlie

Quote from: KLKelly on July 24, 2007, 11:55:40 PM
I bought a pump at the end of the in the later part of last year.  I think its called a Mag500 from Big Al's.  It does 5 or 600 gallons per hour.

Thanks guys.

Karrie
Is the pump still under warranty ?

KLKelly

I didn't save the box.  It would have actually been purchased this year because I didn't get my 90 gallon until Christmas last year and set up the trickle tower bins after this.  I'll have to look up the warranty.  I haven't touched the unit and won't do so until I can find the warranty info.

KLKelly

I took the impeller out and cleaned it... no hardwater deposits on it.  I forgot - I'm using softened water.

I cleaned a little gunk out.  Put it back together and turned it on.  It isn't generating any pressure but it is on.  When I feel the pump in the water it feels out of balance and then it started making a clankety sound.

So I guess this means new impeller and magnet?

It was only bought at Big Als mid February.  What does Big Al's warranty cover?  Would they have an impeller unit by chance?

Thanks once again guys.

Karrie

porcupinepuffer

which big als was it? And did you pay with a credit card by any chance?

KLKelly

I have the receipt and it was Big Als on Innes.  Thanks : )

porcupinepuffer

It's suposed to have a warranty somewhere between 1-3 years. So I'd return the whole thing for a new one... Don't take any crap from them, and don't leave until you have a replacement. I'd first phone to make sure they have some in stock.

KLKelly

I brought it in tonight.  Jody wasn't there but a nice guy (I think he had a moustache) assisted me.

He compared the pump to the inside of a new pump. When I had cleaned the insides I must have dropped a tiny washer.  I brought the pump home found the washer on the floor and put it back together.  It was so tiny I doubt it would make a difference.  It didn't.  Pump still doesn't work.  The inside looks perfect - no chips/scratches or kind of wearing.  I wish I had been able to avoid another trip in.  Living in Rockland is annoying and so is not being able to use water straight from the tap- grrr.  Ok whining over.   

The gentleman is going to look into options and I'll find out tomorrow night.  I think he might replace the impeller/magnet.

Crossing my fingers that I'll have a working pump tomorrow night.

Thanks for all the help!

porcupinepuffer

Oh man, I was hoping you wouldn't get the run around. This wouldn't have happened from the west end store. Aside from the FULL one year warranty (possibly 3 year warranty) that comes with the pump from the makers of the pump. Big al's usually always has a one year warranty, reguardless of the manufacturer... So tell him there's also this option: GIMMIE NEW PUMP!

KLKelly

Just an update.  The pump was replaced with a new one.  I am very relieved.   It was actually a very good experience - no hastle at all.  I was kind of worried that if I just replaced the impeller/magnet it would happen again. I can do a water change tomorrow night  :P.

The gentleman helping me thinks that most likely its starting it and stopping it as often as I do caused it to break down prematurely. I only use it once a week. I'm trying to think of ways to keep it running continuously without starting/stopping it. Haven't figured out a way yet.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

Karrie

charlie

Quote from: KLKelly on July 31, 2007, 09:13:24 PM
Just an update.  The pump was replaced with a new one.  I am very relieved.   It was actually a very good experience - no hastle at all.   I was kind of worried that if I just replaced the impeller/magnet it would happen again. I can do a water change tomorrow night  :P.

The gentleman helping me thinks that most likely its starting it and stopping it as often as I do caused it to break down prematurely. I only use it once a week. I'm trying to think of ways to keep it running continuously without starting/stopping it. Haven't figured out a way yet.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

Karrie

Karrie , happy to hear it all worked out for you in a civil & professional manner, unlike some of the horror stories people report , i have never had a issue with either of the Big Als. Kudos to Jodie & the staff @ Big Als east.
Regards

babblefish1960

That is good news that this was done in a courteous manner and resolved to your satisfaction.

As for leaving the pump running all the time, you could hook it up to a loop which merely circulated the water continuously until you were ready to transfer, however, I am not so sure that it is absolutely necessary. When you fire it up once a week, is it starting dry perhaps?

KLKelly

I wanted everyone to know it was a good experience.  I was treated well each time I went in.

As for the pump I make sure it is full of water and move it around to try and get any air out before plugging it in.  In between water changes I take it out of the water - if that makes a difference?  It never made a noise until this issue.  I can't believe how quiet this pump is (of course this was the only one I've bought so far).