Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Community tank planner

Started by keansor, August 01, 2007, 09:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keansor

Has anyone used this tool?

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/community.html

I stumbled across it today and was wondering how accurate it is. It allows you to input some info about your tank and select fish that you may want to keep. It then lets you know if there are any problems with the choices you have made. It's fun to play with, but is it accurate?

You have to sign up, but membership is free.

babblefish1960

It is an interesting guide, and of course it is quicker than researching the specifics of each fish individually.  However, it doesn't account for maximum sizes, additionally it seems to be a basic program utilizing the maximum number of inch fish without any relation to mass. For example, a six inch acara has far more mass than a six inch siamese algae eater, and plenty more than six one inch tetras, and this is important to the bio load of the tank.

Moreover, the list of compatible fish raised my eyebrows a few times, I am unsure what they base the criteria upon, but there were some unwise selections.

Having said this, it is a good basic starting point that would help to create a better understanding of what can go into a tank when you are starting at ground zero.

Fishnut

I still think the best place to start is in a well known fish book, or the LFS.  That site didn't have my badis listed.