Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Toughest of the tough!

Started by dan2x38, August 01, 2007, 11:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Babble's story of the Sterbai Cory inspired my little story. I bought a 29g set-up from mseguin including gravel. I cleaned the pea gravel that sat for abit. When I clean gravel I put a towel spread out in a strainer put gravel in it then clean with warm water. Each batch I dump into a bucket. When I was done straining filled the bucket with hot water from my tap which is 134f. Over the next several days I poured out most of the water then added more hot water. I added the gravel to the tank and set everything up. A week or so later did a WC and vacuumed there were MTS in the gravel still alive I was shocked. Some tough characters.

In the last several weeks been fighting Ich break out. In a 1/2 gal. old plastic coffee container filled it with water added 2 tbsp. of aquari-sol (copper sulfate) for a net dip. While doing a WC I threw a few pieces of Hygro poly into the canister that had broken off. A week later I pulled out those nets and the poly was growing towards the light... Never thought that would possible! that's 1 tough plant.

ANY ONE ELSE GOT A SURVIAL STORY?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

I used gravel that had been dry for a really long time.  A few weeks later I had MTS's aswell.  Just the little ones and only a few.  Now they're about an inch long and have populated my tank nicely!

dan2x38

It must be one of those ghost story weeks...  :o

Yesterday doing a WC cleaned the pick-up for my AC/70. The strainer louvers are very close together. I use 2 pieces of tubing on the pick-up so there are 2 sets of strainers. I noticed inside the tube stuck against the 2nd stainer was a female cherry shrimp that is 3/4" of course I assumed she was dead. I pulled of the pick-up pulled the tubes apart and she moved then dropped into the tank darted away. Besides that there is also copper sulphate in the tank to treat Ich which should have smoke her too! She survived the copper dosing and being sucked against the strainer for at least a day... Holy Crap!!!  :o BUT how did she get up there?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

jodes22

OOO OOO I do I do!!!

My dad (busdriver) gave me 2 of his baby bn plecos. I had them for about a week when I couldn't find the smaller one anymore... Fast forward to 2 weeks to a month later, I needed to check out my filter... Needless to say, right on the top tray, there he was!!! I thought he might be dead, but no! Now, he's back in the tank, happy as can be!

:) :) :)