Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

leucistic crayfish

Started by reptile boi, August 07, 2007, 01:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reptile boi

Hey everyone,

I was at the ottawa river today with my girlfriend and some other friends searching for crawdads/crayfish just for fun and i stumbled upon one that seems to be either albino or leucistic. I have never seen this before (only the usual grey ones with the ocassional blue or red phased crawdads), so i brought it home and i was wondering if anyone could give me some info on taking care of this little guy and keeping it alive. Would it be alright if i left it in my cherry shrimp tank? (regular 10 gal with lots of java moss and a decent HOB filter).

Thanks,
Ben

Laura

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

featherfin

crayfish do tend to be rather aggressive, i would'nt put it in with cherry shrimp. i think you caught it while it was moulting if you look in one day and see what seems to be a dead crayfish in the tank leave it, because the crayfish needs to eat the shell to regain lost calcium. ( make sure it's not actually dead  ;D)

dpatte

I have kept them in all my tanks, with almost any kind of fish, and never lost any fish. They need flat rocks to burrow under.

But none lasted more than a year.

Quatro

I picked up a feeder crayfish years ago and started my first 10gal tank.  Now I have 9 tanks.  Go figure.   :D

That first one turned out to be a female and laid eggs about a month later.  I ended up with over 100 babies.  Prior to the babies she escaped one day and I found her walking down the hallway; put her back in the tank and she was fine.  After the babies hatched I moved her over to my brothers house into another 10gal and she escaped again.  Found her a day later but she was dried out.   :'(  Some of the babies survived which I sold but kept one at my brothers house.  It grew to about 3 or 4 inches and turned a brilliant blue (mother was brown).  It lived almost 3 years.

The first bit of advice I have is to make sure the top is secure and has no gaps.  These guys will find their way out of anything.  Second, I always felt guilty about keeping them in a 10gal.  Larger footprint is the way to go.  A 30gal or 40 gal breeder tank (36" x 18") would be great.  As for companions, I saw the first one take the tail off a feeder goldfish, but the blue baby lived with 2 white cloud minnows for 2 years.

A crayfish will devourer any live plants.  My neighbour had a heavily planted 10gal and I gave him one of the 1.5" babies.  Under a week and the tank was bare.  Give them plants to eat but your cherry shrimp will not stand a chance.  Mine never liked algae waffers but loved shrimp pellets.

Go for it.  They make great pets.

reptile boi

hey,

thanks for all the info guys!

anyone have any tips on raising young ones?

featherfin:
nope, this one was not moulting, it had a pretty tough/hard shell when i caught it yesterday and it is still pretty white as we speak.

thanks,
ben

Nerine

please post a pic!! :) I'd love to see it!!

good luck :) and I agree with the above posts...they are EXCELLENT escape artists!! make sure that there aren't ANY gaps lol they will find a way out if they can ;)
I knew someone who had a reptile screen on top their tank and that worked!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

plecoL83

Fishnut

I don't know if I skimmed over this fact, but crayfish thrive in cold water.

Albinos have red eyes, lucistic have the light pigment but have black eyes.

I can't wait for the pics!