Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Got a 124Gal

Started by Ellypho, August 08, 2007, 08:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellypho

Hey i got my hands on a free 124 gal :D.
She need's some work but it would be dirt cheap meaby just some sealant.
Now im not gonna be able to fix it all on my own but i have some good help.

So i had two ideas in mind a tropical tank with mainly stuff like guppies or platies just buy a couple and let them breed freely. My other idea was create a marine aquarium. Now i have never made a marine aquarium but im doing some research. There is one book im gonna get, guy at marinescape suggested and im currently reading "Reader's Digest The Perfect Aquarium by Jeremy Gay" But first i would like to Start a nano reef to get used to it.

Now this is gonna be a really SLOW project since my cash flow is small(20$ a week) so i will hafto take my time. Now wich setup would be more budget friendly? I hear that you just need to get coral and live rock a couple powerheads and the water will be well filterd and the Coral will grow well under good light. So if I got some coral and let it grow would that work? Maybe leave just a fish or two with a small amount of coral and a litle. It would be a slugish development.

So for research i want to be well informed any good books out there to suggest?
My mother is fine with paying for books.

Also if i were to split the aquarium in litle chunks and as it grew open it up a litle more?

Sorry for the long post. But i really dont want to mess this up. And im still a litle new to this hobby. This project may last a few years... so i will learn plenty during setup and with my other tanks. I have always grabbed my tanks when they were either free or retardedly cheap. So understande i havent been able to build up to this size so sections may be good for me.

sniggir

well if you have 20 a week to go with i would suggest a FW... or a lot of patients... you can do a SW with out coral and just do a fish only and your costs are much lower... but still not as cheap as a FW even a FW 125 gal is not cheap... stan filter... and so on.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Ellypho

I think i may store it for when i am more prepared for it. Reading and practice would be best for now. I just got a litle exited:P. I should probably save my money and be really prepared for it. But surely keep suggesting everyone Because i would be able to use it later on when im ready for it.

Adam

Well...you can save lots of money if you are handy. Build a stand out of 2x4s...there are tons of plans and threads in forums on the internet about how people made their stands.  Then when you have somewhere to put it, you can always start collection some used equipment. 

Don't worry about the costs, you can do it for cheaper than you might think.  You just may have to do a lot of it yourself (or get family members to do it for you!). 
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Heidi

Wow, what are the dimensions of the tank?

When setting it up, keep in mind where you are going to put it. If it is on a main floor - you may have to resupport the floor under it if it is not near a load bearing wall or some other such powerful beam. We had to rip apart our basement ceiling to resupport the floor for our 120 - just in case!!!  You don't want a 120 gallon accident to happen on that floor - or in your basement! (trust me from personal experience - you DON'T want that - all I can say is at least it didn't touch my Bateman picture hanging on the wall in the basement).  You can do fresh cheaper than you can marine. Lighting is less expensive, filters are less expensive, water is less expensive (no R/O water or salt for example). Don't get me wrong - I love marine (have 3 tanks to prove it) but fresh is the best way to start until you get used to having a large tank and what it needs under your belt. Plus this way you can buy stuff on the side slowly and then when you can reasonably afford it - switch over.  Other thing - if you got your tank used - you will want to watch out for scratches and stuff in the glass - not very good for marine. We have a 120 fresh - but want to do it marine - will have to get a new tank to do that as there are alot of scratches. Fine for fresh - sucks for marine. If you are going to take the time...wait for the boxing day sale at Big Al's (get there early!!) or even wait for the OVAS auction. While they (auction) do not have alot of marine stuff, I found you can still find the heaters, power heads, maybe a good filter or 2 to start you on your way. That way you can focus on the more expensive stuff and save up for lighting, etc. PLus watch out on the classifieds...got a good set of t5 ballasts and MH cheap/reasonably priced for when we do change the big tank over. If you are in no rush - it's worth it to shop here.

Good luck and I'm jealous you got such a big tank for free!!!
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

Ellypho

Quote from: Adam on August 09, 2007, 07:30:58 PM
Well...you can save lots of money if you are handy. Build a stand out of 2x4s...there are tons of plans and threads in forums on the internet about how people made their stands.  Then when you have somewhere to put it, you can always start collection some used equipment. 

Don't worry about the costs, you can do it for cheaper than you might think.  You just may have to do a lot of it yourself (or get family members to do it for you!). 

Well im not a dumb kid and my step father is actually an engineer. But still i need some more time to know what im doing better

Ellypho

Quote from: Heidi on August 09, 2007, 08:19:29 PM
Wow, what are the dimensions of the tank?

When setting it up, keep in mind where you are going to put it.

Well the plan was for it to go into my basement less headach and it's dark in there and cold some im in full control of lighting and heating. and my tank is 5fX2fX2f and im currently preparing for a 5.5gal marine. I want to start small and graduate it sems like the smarter thing to do. And when i say 20$ that's just for this hobby and i get help purchasing fish.