Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New to Ottawa

Started by martin_jones, August 18, 2007, 03:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin_jones

Hello everyone.

I have recently moved to Ottawa from the UK, and thought I'd introduce myself (I have been lurking on the forum for a little while but not posting anything).

I have had fish in the UK, but sold up prior to relocating. I bought a small (20Gal) tank this morning and am going to get back into fishkeeping.

Where is the best place to get fish from in Ottawa? I looked round Big Al's on Innes Road, and they seemed to have quite a good selection. Is this the place to go, or are there better stores?

I intend to get a couple of Blue Rams. Any ideas where I might get these from? I didn't see any in Big Als when I was in there. Also, I am going down the planted tank route. Where's the best place to get plants?

Not going to put fish in there yet - going down the fishless cycling route. Just thought I'd get planning.

Regards,

Martin

With fronds like these, who needs anemones?

fischkopp

Hello Martin,

welcome to Ottawa and OVAS!

BA is definitely a good address for fish and anything else your need to start your planted FW tank. There is second one in Kanata and this one has some nice wildcaught blue rams at the moment. Plants are usually a hit and miss at BA, SuperPet(Smart) had quite nice ones in the past, but dont know how thif will look like in the future. The best address for plants are the OVAS (mini-)auctions during the meetings.

Have a good start with your 20Gal!

Robert
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

babblefish1960

Welcome to the colonies, I am sure you will love it here, we actually have space for elbows here in Canada eh!

Welcome also to the nations capital, and of course to the Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society's club website too, you should find lots of good stuff in these ethereal pages, and of course, scads of advice from all sorts of folks.  In fact, you may be gobsmacked by some of the things said here, we have a little fun at times.

As for fish stores, there are many in town, the one you visited today is a good one, and a number of smaller mum and pop shops too.

As for German blue rams, there are a number that are bred locally, check out the breeders list on the site.

Again, have fun, and welcome to the crowd. :)

beowulf

Welcome to the club and Babble above was being modest and did not mention that he has some really nice rams!!!

dan2x38

KEWL hope you enjoy...  :) fishless cycling rocks...!

Quote from: martin_jones on August 18, 2007, 03:05:29 PM
Also, I am going down the planted tank route. Where's the best place to get plants?

Not going to put fish in there yet - going down the fishless cycling route. Just thought I'd get planning.

Martin,

Prunning tomorrow do you want some sunset hygro & rotala indicia? going to the trash can if not...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

artw

Welcome to the forum Martin.   I highly recommend the Petsmart out in Kanata just off Castlefrank Road.     If you ever happen to be in BA Innes when I am working, say hello and I can show you some neat fish.