Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

external filtration question

Started by Brine, June 04, 2007, 07:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brine

I have a bunch of bits and pieces that I want to use to put together an external filtration system.
My question is ...Should the pump come before or after the filter media?
That is, should the flow go from the tank, through the media, then the pump ....essentially pulling the water through the media or should the flow go from the tank, through the pump and then through the media...essentially pushing the water through the media?

babblefish1960

For protection of the impeller, the water is pulled through the media first, but as it is mounted lower than the tank in question, there is always gravity and a siphon action.

kennyman

Yea the one thing I always found cheep about HOB's is how they pass all that junk through the impeller.

sylvain

i would suggest through the media first then the pump, that's a lot safer for the impeller
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

Brine

I have now built the stand for the tank on which I plan to put this external filtration system.
It looks like I will have some mechanical filtration before the pump with more mechanical and some chemical filtration after the pump. Stay tuned I will post the picks of the custom tank stand build and the custom filtration system build as soon as it is complete.