Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Problems in the 75

Started by Nerine, August 19, 2007, 01:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

This morning I went downstairs and two of my zebra haps were dead!!!! one is on his way out and the other 3 are hanging in , but barely.... I have NO clue what's going on!!!! there are no real signs of illness...other than one is just listless...the rainbows are just fine and so are the synos! water tests are fine...it's gonna drive me out of my mind!! I did a water change (even though I just did one a few days ago) and added some pima and mela fix.... crossing fingers!!

when it rains...it pours...I lost my gerbil yesterday, my cat is on death's doorstep (he's barely hanging on), one of my baby hamsters drowned...what's next?!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

babblefish1960

I am so sorry to hear about your desperate situation, it really does pour at your house. As for the fish, what is the possibility that it is a poisoning of some sort. Some foreign substance that these fish were more sensitive to more so than the other fish.

I hope you figure it out soon.

KLKelly

Wow - when it rains it does pour.  I'm sorry about your finned and furry pets : (

Did you get hit with the power outage yesterday?  Some people were out for many hours.

Nerine

didn't even realize there was a power outage!! the only thing that has been out around here is our internet connection lol!

I have no idea...I've checked and re-checked, unless the water change a few days ago did something? no clue. but then they would have shown signs much earlier. and again, no aerosols in the house so nothing in the tank.

the java moss in that tank is doing very well though!! it's pretty much taken over the entire tank!  so far the rest of the fish still look ok...the 3 remainin healthy haps seem ok too. crossing fingers because I can't find these in town anywhere, and when I do find them they are 10$ or so :\ grr.

I was hoping they would be breeding soon too!!!
Guess I should stick to catfish lol
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

dan2x38

sorry to hear that {Nerine}...  :( very crappy...  :'(
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Pink Punisher

Possible lack of oxygen and there 'drowning' ?  Sorry for all that is happening at your place but thing will clear up they always do ;)

Spence

Nerine

if it was lack of oxygen...then the rest of the crew would be having problems too...it's only the victorians! grrrrrr

Nerine

Well an update...

every single victorian is dead...half my rainbows are gone and one of the synos isn't doing well. it's enough to drive a person to madness!

babblefish1960

Wow, sorry to hear that, any ideas as to what happened in their?

charlie

So Sorry to hear about your losses Nerine, it must be very frustrating. I hope you can find out what happened & rebound soon.
Regards

Nerine

no clue...water is fine, everything is fine!! but the fish grrrr it's aggrivating.
BUT....I was thinking...a few baby silvertips and few baby scat or something and go brackish lol I dunno. I still have labs in the 55...so I guess this was a sign to move on to something new??

Nerine

well the rest are almost dead now...the featherfin died this morning, I have 3 rainbows left and the other syno...who is not doing well. gr

babblefish1960

That is so sad, especially as it is still a mystery. On the other hand, I suppose you could start thinking along the lines of your new brackish setup. ;)

dan2x38

Very sorry Nerine! I hate lossing 1 it most be tough to loss a tank...  :'( Must admit you are copying with it well.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

I'm really sorry!  I wish you knew what was wrong.  I was once told that there is a problem with the water if the snails all go to the top.  I changed my substrate in one aquarium when I found out about it being a breeding ground for bad air pockets and anaerobic (spelling) bacteria - didn't know about mts then.

It scares the heck out me thinking it could happen to my tank. I had a scare over a month ago - long story - but I was able to save all but one weather loach that died a few weeks later from popeye.  DH working in the basement and getting something in my trickle bins or bleach somehow remaining on the new ornament I added was probably the problem.

That really sucks :(

Nerine

I'm kinda used to this size of loss...I lost almost my entire breeding stock once...we had buckets of dead fish...all due to a brownout that lasted a couple days and no generators :(

it always sucks loosing a fish!! no matter how few or how many!! but I am thinking ahead ;) hehe on to the next project...I am wondering if I can get some columbians to go from brackish to marine and then bring them back and see what happens for spawning :) I have lots of reading to do and work out some sort of system for this and tank sizes etc

still no clue what it was in the tank...I don't think it was gases in the sand, the victorians were a demolition crew and would move all the sand from one side of the tank to the other on a weekly basis, and I was constantly in there planting plants and moving stuff around. it's a great mystery that will probably never be solved :( but they had some freaky looking ulcers on them, something out of a sci-fi movie!

Nerine

ok last syno died!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

and what's left? cheapy rainbows! (no offense to you rainbow keepers!) I'd rather they have died than my expensive fish :\

anyways...Now I have 4 rainbows who are moving to a rubbermaid bucket and I'm taking the 75 down...cleaning it out and going to move it to a more desired location (upstairs? :D )
BUT still miffed over this whole thing, I medicated, I salt bathed, I medicated with stuff I normally don't medicate with (harsher stuff that doesn't do well with scaleless fish) and NOTHING worked...it was like Venom had attacked them all and slowly took them over (they all grew this weird fuzz and freakish yellow slime and sores). Sigh...

Anyone have any ideas?? think it was some freak fungus?? keep in mind water parameters  were perfect. :(

KLKelly

Yellow slime - velvet maybe?

Not sure if that causes sores though.

Quick google search turned up this link - says it can easily kill off a whole tank:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/velvet.htm

Nerine

no...it was too "frilly" for velvet...it was more mold type fungus like (ha does that make sense at all?) Maybe there was something in the water? who knows. it's still driving me nuts!
thanks though for searching!!!