New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone Interested in Helping Drill an Established Tank?

Started by Adam.Derome, September 02, 2007, 11:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam.Derome

Hey everyone, this is my first post, as I've only had the tank up and running for about 5 weeks now. It's a 30 gallon, 30x12x18 I believe, and the algae diatoms have just started to subside.

When I initially setup everything, I didn't think that going with a sump was the thing to do considering my space/wealth limitations, however, after having everything setup for the past weeks, I've decided that there's no better way to go than to have a sump (especially for hiding all the equipment).

I was wondering if someone could help me out, or give me some advice on drilling the tank, without moving it. It's got the rocks and sand, some snails and crabs already in it.

I'm interested in putting a 2-3" bulkhead in the middle of the back, in the top 3-4" of the tank and then constructing a surface skimmer box to drain water into a 20g below the stand. So, I should only have to drain a third of the tank or so - is this possible?

Thanks in advance

BigDaddy

The advice you will find is that since you are only 5 weeks in, better to tear down the tank, drill it and then put it up again.

I am pretty sure most people in the area that do drill tanks refuse to drill established tanks.  Reason being is that there is always a risk of the tank breaking when you drill, and there is a lot more to loose than a $50 glass tank if you drill it full of 30 gallons of saltwater and livestock.

Adam.Derome

Thanks.

I figured as much. I spoke briefly to a gentleman at Marinescape and they pretty much recommended the same. Looks like I'll be picking up another 30 gal (Or something a little larger.. my stand can accomodate  36" x 20" base) and getting it drilled and then doing the transfer.

dan2x38

Quote from: Adam.Derome on September 02, 2007, 12:52:29 PM
Thanks.

I figured as much. I spoke briefly to a gentleman at Marinescape and they pretty much recommended the same. Looks like I'll be picking up another 30 gal (Or something a little larger.. my stand can accomodate  36" x 20" base) and getting it drilled and then doing the transfer.

Go for a 65g = 36 x 18 x 24 :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Severum

Get a new big tank!  ;)

I started with a 33 gallon like yours and 4 months later I'm setting up a 120. Its funny but it was the whole needing-a-sump/ref that got me started on this monstrous adventure.  :D
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Adam.Derome

Well, I couldn't help myself.

Some guy on usedottawa.com tried to sell me a USED 55 gallon for 200 dollars, so I went to Big Al's and bought a NEW 65 gallon Perfecto for 125 bucks.

Great, now to setup the plumbing!

I'm going to need a hand drilling the tank, so I was wondering if there was anyone local that could do it, or if there is some place I can bring it to get drilled.

I'm also wondering - is there a way I can completely avoid the use of powerheads in the tank? I was thinking of using a pair of 2" drains (Plenty of downflow) and using a pair of return pumps connected to a PVC frame atop the tank which will distribute flow throughout the tank. I'm thinking a PVC pipe will go down each of the four corners, and the PCV pipe will have several "T" junctions that will act as powerheads as various levels, which can be directed all over the tank.

This will amount to a lot of flow going through the sump. Is there any disadvantage of this?

BigDaddy

Do some research on a "closed loop".  Essentially, you are removing the powerheads and drilling holes in their place.  Most people will run a closed loop on a single large pump.  The closed loop is also completely seperate from your sump system... the plumbing for the closed loop never connects to your sump/return plumbing

groupie02

Adam,

here's what I did to my inwall 65g - 9 x 1.5" holes - maybe a bit extreme.

I have 2 drains to my sump with 1 return.
I also have 2 intakes for my closed loop. My pump feeds an OceansMotions Squirt to direct the return from my closed loop into one of the 4 return holes in my tank.

See what it looks like 

I'm using 1.5" bulkheads as the plumbing parts are easy to get and to work with.

I do drill tanks for a small fee which covers gas and the cost of my tools. Please PM if you want more details.