Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Snail species

Started by Ellypho, August 13, 2007, 10:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellypho

Hey its me once again. I have a question about some snails. At first i thought they were malasian trumpet snails but now i dont think they are. They have the same shell except the back of it is not very extended. what could they be? could they be harmfull? they have yet to touch my java ferns.

PaleoFishGirl

Is it possible for you to post a photo?

There are lots of different morphs of MTS so they still could be.  When do you see them? Most MTS will be in your substrate all day and then come out on to the glass and/or the substrate after lights out.

Ellypho

Well it's got the same shell except it dosen't extend. They are sometimes out during the day but not often. They recently mated and now i have a hefty amount of them. They dont seem to be eating my plants(java ferns) instead they hang around the substrate and the glass.

Laura

If it's that thick shell, I would guess it is likely an mts, although there is a similarly shaped giant pond snail (google images).  The giant pond snail's shell is more similar to a regular pond snail though.

If you see jelly egg sacks, then that's also a good clue that it's not an mts.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

do they swish easily against the glass? MTS have a harder shell sounds like they might be common pond snails if they do, they tag along on plants... google 'aquarium snails'
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Ellypho

Okay. I will google it. ANyways they dont pay attention to my plants. And their pretty small. Do you thin they could be harmfull?

Ellypho

Here this snail resembles mine.

http://naturalaquariums.com/inverts/snaild3.JPG But his shell is darker.

babblefish1960

That is most definitely a pond snail, have fun.

Ellypho

So that i know that they may eat my plants what can i do to keep the pop low?
Are there any small fish that will eat them?
What is the best bate to catch them with i was thinking lettuce.

RossW

I think loaches will help keep the population down.

beowulf

Quote from: RossW on August 20, 2007, 11:30:06 AM
I think loaches will help keep the population down.

They would but for the size of the tanks I would not get loaches.  I would go with lettuce as mentioned and oull them out that way.

sas

Quote from: beowulf on August 20, 2007, 11:52:00 AM
I would go with lettuce as mentioned and pull them out that way.
I've also used various algae pellets,wafers zucchini to attract snails. Works wonders, they form a feeding mass and then you just scoop them up. Save them up and post them on line for people that keep puffers or loaches.

Ellypho

Great to know my lettuce will work i have some in our garden. Sadly i cant use the algea pellets that mus be the best bacause m pleco would eat them before the snals could reach it.
Thanks all^^