Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

thermometer ???

Started by featherfin, August 17, 2007, 10:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

featherfin

i just got a new tank and it had a fridge magnet-like thermometer on it. it shows three diffrent colors, blue, brown and green. what do these colors mean?
thanks.

darkdep

The brightest colour (likely green) is the current temp.

BigDaddy

These types of thermometers, however, are usually somewhat inaccurate.  Your better off getting a plain old mercury thermometer unless you want to spend 15 or 20 dollars on a digital thermometer.

featherfin

charlie

darkdep

On the topic of thermometer accuracy...

A few months ago I shelled out the bucks for a scientific-grade tracking thermometer, which in addition to telling me the temp would track the range of temps over a 24 hour period (so I could see how much the tank temp would fluctuate).  After using this, I can tell you with full confidence that most "aquarium thermometers" are quite inaccurate; our fish are far more tolerant than you can imagine :)

The store bought "digital" thermometers are the worst for accuracy, believe it or not.  One I had was a full FIVE degrees off.

As far as the best accuracy for the buck, the little glass $2 ones are by far the most accurate.  Not perfect, but definitely the best you can get reasonably.

charlie

Quote from: DarkDep on August 20, 2007, 08:19:30 AM
On the topic of thermometer accuracy...

A few months ago I shelled out the bucks for a scientific-grade tracking thermometer, which in addition to telling me the temp would track the range of temps over a 24 hour period (so I could see how much the tank temp would fluctuate). 

DD any links to that thermometer ?

darkdep

I can't find my specific one (I had someone more knowledgeable in the sciences pick it out for me) but it was from Fisher Scientific.  Check here:  http://ecat.fishersci.ca/(5kwdt1veszzk23553erjhz55)/Results.aspx