Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

my Endler tank

Started by Nyx, August 19, 2007, 09:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx

I have a 30G planted tank where I raise Endler's livebearers. For those of you who aren't familiar with them, Endlers (Poecilia sp. endleri or, more recently, Poecilia wingei) are little fish which resemble guppies, but are not guppies, though they may be cross-bred with them. They originate from Venezuela and are thought to be extinct in the wild as they have not been seen in Laguna de los Patos where they were originally discovered for several years now. :( I have a pure strain that has not been crossed with guppies. Through selective breeding, I now have a true swordtail Endler. I just wish my camera would take a close-up that isn't fuzzy! I also have cherry fire shrimp in this tank and they, too, are reproducing like mad!! Finally, I have kuhli loaches and they, too, have reproduced although I didn't have a hand in it, didn't know it was possible in a home tank and didn't realize it until these tiny threadlike fry appeared. Only a few have survived and are now about an eigth the size of adults.

A little bit closer... You can see a swordtail male higher on the left, a standard male lower on the right.

And the cherry fire shrimp, a tad blurry, but boy are they red! Female in the foreground, male in the background.
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

Aiglos

Beutiful Fish !  I have always loved endlers !

How many do you have ?  Where did you get them ? 

Really rewarding fish to keep, very active and friendly, nice and flashy aswell ! Gratz !

fischkopp

A very lively tank! Like it  :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

beowulf

I had some endler-mixed fish a long time ago.  They are interesting looking fish with the swordtail, nice work.

plecoL83

nice tank, I really like endlers and kulie loaches too. I like it :)

sniggir

realy nice, I love the look of planted tanks.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Mettle

Awesome choice of tank inhabitants. And very cool that they're all breeding! You're definitely doing something right in there!  ;D

dan2x38

some nice aquascaping... good job...  :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Nyx

Wow, thank you so much for the compliments, everybody! :) As you can see, I'm really proud of them, especially since they haven't been cross-bred with guppies. As much as I enjoy our saltwater tanks, the Endler tank is my favourite. I like to think that I'm doing my little bit to keep them going. Before we sold the 110G, I tried to convince my hubby that it would be amazing for my little Endlers but he wouldn't go for it.  :'( I would at least like to get a second tank going with them, just in case something happens to one tank. At least then my entire stock wouldn't be wiped out. Wish me luck talking my love-muffin into it!!  ::)

babblefish1960

"Love-muffin"?  Well, time to try out the feminine wiles if the basic logics of fishkeeping aren't working! ;)

Nyx

Quotetime to try out the feminine wiles
Believe me, babble, I tried to no avail. Logic didn't work either. I guess I'm just going to have to resort to good old-fashioned nagging, à la Wilma Flintstone.  ;D

dan2x38

Due to some illness I lost some Endlers. I only have 1 male left they need to shoal to be happy and enjoy longevity. Wouldyou  like to have him? He needs a good home with some friends...  :)
Voltaire:

jodes22

Beautiful tank and fish!  :)

Nyx

Thanks again! :) Dan, I'm sure your little guy will be thrilled to move into his new harem, er, home on Saturday! Thank you!

dan2x38

Quote from: Nyxx on August 21, 2007, 06:46:06 PM
Thanks again! :) Dan, I'm sure your little guy will be thrilled to move into his new harem, er, home on Saturday! Thank you!

I had to have that talk with him but he is ready... LMAO  :D ;D  ::) 8)
Voltaire:

Nyx