Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Python

Started by RossW, July 25, 2007, 10:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

Has anyone tried to make a "python"?

The fitting for the sink/tap look a lot like what I used to use for my water bed... I may be dating myself a little :D

mseguin

I have a DIY python, the "pump" and tap attachment is a waterbed fill/drain kit

RossW

Quote from: mseguin on July 25, 2007, 10:52:24 PM
I have a DIY python, the "pump" and tap attachment is a waterbed fill/drain kit

Can you still buy these?  If so, where?

Thanx

mseguin

Walmart, and I would imagine a few other places

RoxyDog

yep, I made one.  $30 for about 30 feet I believe it cost me.  the waterbed fill and drain kit is @ Walmart Lincoln Fields for sure, that's where I got mine, Kanata didn't have any @ the time.  the right size hose I got @ Rona, and you can attach a big siphon tube from the manual kind if you have one.  it just fits into the hose , I didn't need any other attachment there.  I did buy the actual python (green) attachment to go from the hose to the fill and drain kit as it was easier than what I could find @ Rona/HD @ the time.  also buying the brass tap adaptor rather than the plastic one that come with either the python kit or the Wlamart kit is a good idea as the plastic gets wrecked kinda easy.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

BigDaddy

The brass quick disconnect, is in my opinion, a must.  Without it, your plastic threads will strip within 6 months to a year.  With it, you'll likely never have to replace the fill and drain piece.

normc

Mine is half and half. I started with a Python from BA's and over time added or replaced pieces. quick connects on both ends, my own attachment to refill, it's u shaped and just hangs on the tank when filling. With what I know now I wouldn't buy one but build my own.   

[attachment deleted by admin]

RoxyDog

Norm...how do you vacuum the gravel?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

KLKelly

I built mine also - I stopped using it shortly after because it wasted too much water trying to drain my 90 gallon and didn't vacuum the gravel nearly as well as just the gravel vac into the bucket.  Oh - and it took a lot longer to drain.

I was told to buy a hose that wasn't treated - like mildew resistant.

Also - along with the brass disconnect - which was very convenient.... I also bought a valve that let me shut off the inflow outflow of the water without having to race 30 feet to the tap.  Water hates me.

I got the waterbed kit from walmart also.  I had to warm the gravel vac tube in boiling water so it would fit over the adaptor that I bought.

normc

Quote from: RoxyDog on July 26, 2007, 02:22:07 PM
Norm...how do you vacuum the gravel?
I use the vacuum tub that came with the original python. I don't vacuum the big tank.

normc

Quote from: KLKelly on July 26, 2007, 04:30:58 PM
I built mine also - I stopped using it shortly after because it wasted too much water trying to drain my 90 gallon and didn't vacuum the gravel nearly as well as just the gravel vac into the bucket.  Oh - and it took a lot longer to drain.

I was told to buy a hose that wasn't treated - like mildew resistant.

Also - along with the brass disconnect - which was very convenient.... I also bought a valve that let me shut off the inflow outflow of the water without having to race 30 feet to the tap.  Water hates me.

I got the waterbed kit from walmart also.  I had to warm the gravel vac tube in boiling water so it would fit over the adaptor that I bought.
For my 140 I attach the hose to the filter and it pumps the water out with out wasting any water

KLKelly

Smart idea Norm!

Jeff1192

Anyone know if there would be a way to attach a Python to a kitchen sink that has an unusual shaped faucet head (and there's no threading)?

It looks something like the picture I have attached.

Thanks,

Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

babblefish1960

Are you certain it has no aerator at all?  I see something in the centre of the spigot that looks like an attachment. If you own your home, sometimes it is much simpler to install a dedicated faucet in a more convenient locale, just a thought copper! :)

Jeff1192

Ya I looked underneath the faucet head and there is an aerator....but there doesn't appear to be any way to remove it....I'll have to see if I can find the paperwork that came with it when we had the house built to see if they show how to take it apart....thanks.

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Alchemist

Should be a way of removing it in case it gets blocked with sediment.

Jeff1192

Finally figured it out. I ended up having to go online to the company's website and downloading a pdf with the specs and I was able to take it apart....so I will be able to get a python....woohoo....I hated having to use buckets and syphons.

- George Orwell

dan2x38

Quote from: Jeff1192 on August 23, 2007, 03:30:16 PM
Finally figured it out. I ended up having to go online to the company's website and downloading a pdf with the specs and I was able to take it apart....so I will be able to get a python....woohoo....I hated having to use buckets and syphons.

You could just install a utility tap under the sink pretty easy project... An excuse to pull a Tim Allan or plain just declare it Miller time... LOL  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."