New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Almost all decisions are made for the new tank. Now...what type of cover?

Started by Jeff1192, August 29, 2007, 08:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

As many of you know I'm planning on setting up a 75 gallon community planted tank in the fall. My next question is what type of cover would you go with? I've always had just the plan black canopy, but at Big Al's the other day I noticed a tank that was centre-braced and had clear lids. Would this be better for a planted set-up or is it more a matter of aesthetics?

Thanks,

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

What type of lighting are you going with?  a high percentage of planted tanks , people use glass tops because of the amount of light they need to get into the tank for the plants.
Regards

fischkopp

I agree with charlie, it really depends on the lightning you want to apply and is pretty much your choice of aesthetics :) There are the standard canopies, that usually come with build in lights or allow you to place some on top. With those you wont get too much light into the tank. Many people have custom build canopies, with as many lights as you can fit in. :) I prefer glass top or even open tanks with the light fixtures directly sitting on the tank or hanging from the ceiling.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

beowulf

Jeff1192

Well from what I have read I will want at least 2 fluorescent tubes for better plant growth. I would also like to look at adding a moonlight system down the road. So I guess I would need to go with the clear cover then. Is this right?

Thanks,

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

Quote from: Jeff1192 on August 29, 2007, 11:17:20 AM
Well from what I have read I will want at least 2 fluorescent tubes for better plant growth. I would also like to look at adding a moonlight system down the road. So I guess I would need to go with the clear cover then. Is this right?

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff short answer yes( glass cover), you can always build or buy a wooden canopy for aesthetics later.
I would suggest that you take sometime & do a lot of research about lights in relation to planted tanks, in the plant forum ( here) there are some threads & links which will cover this aspect of the hobby, the qty. of tubes do not necessarily translate to enough lights for better plant growth ( it`s more about the light intensity), there is also a relation between lights & required nutrition.
Regards

fischkopp

Quote from: charlie on August 29, 2007, 11:31:48 AM
... there is also a relation between lights & required nutrition.

... and you will realize very soon that you dont want too much light  ;) as you have to keep adding the right amount of nutrients including the most important one: CO2 ... but dont be too scared of it  :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031