Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Peat moss to lower pH?

Started by wu-gwei, January 22, 2004, 03:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wu-gwei

I heard someone say to use Peat moss in bags in your canister tolower pH. Anyone heard of this? If not, what are some economical ways to lower pH? Thanks.

Cheers,
JJ :wink:

dpatte

running a do it yourself CO2 system can bring your ph down as much as 2 points!

Many here use co2 to improve plant growth. When the CO2 is disolved into the water, it actually produces a weak carbonic acid, and hense pH goes down.

CO2 is probably the healthiest way a easily reducing the pH of your tanks.

aidensmomma2000

Well after my do-it-yourself disaster with c02 I just use buffers. Not the cheapest way... :?

wu-gwei

Quote from: "dpatte"running a do it yourself CO2 system can bring your ph down as much as 2 points!

Many here use co2 to improve plant growth. When the CO2 is disolved into the water, it actually produces a weak carbonic acid, and hense pH goes down.

CO2 is probably the healthiest way a easily reducing the pH of your tanks.
You have instructions or tips for a DIY CO2 system?

Cheers,
JJ :wink:

Poustic

dpatte

geez, you beat me to the answer :) i was also going to say, 'At the top of this forum press SEARCH and look for 'CO2'

valiko

aidensmomma2000: can you please, describe your disaster, I am in the process of setting one up, so I don't want to miss anything

aidensmomma2000

I cant really tellyou what happened, all I know is whatever regualted the amount that came out broke, and it was on full blast for an undetermined amount of time, and 98% of my fish died  :cry: