New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY Tank Stand

Started by Brine, August 18, 2007, 07:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brine

Here are some pics of the stand I just built for my new 90G (thanks Babblefish for the tank and Big Daddy for the help moving it)

1. First I sketched the design then worked it out using SolidWorks CAD program.
2. Precut the lumber (001-pile o lumber.jpg) I used almost all 2" by 8" stock. Mostly because I had it already and there was no extra cost. I could have used 2" by 4".
3. Placed an old shower curtain on the floor to protect the carpet from glue and splinters (002-place to work.jpg)
4. Waterproof carpenter's glue and Deck Screws, good for wet areas (003-glue and screws.jpg)
5. Drill (no way am I screwing all this together manually) (004-drill.jpg)
6. Assemble a simple frame (005-first of two platforms start.jpg and 006-first of two platforms framed.jpg)
5. Put a top on the frame.(out of order...last pic this post)
7. Build a second frame. (008-two platforms done.jpg)
8. Build the inner support frame (009-inner support frame started.jpg and 010-inner support frame detail.jpg) This will become clearer in a minute.
I can only load 10 pics so I'll have to carry this on in the next window

[attachment deleted by admin]

Brine

Carrying on ....
9. All joints are glued (011-glue detail.jpg)
10. All joints are screwed together (012-screw pattern detail.jpg)
11. All the inner frame supports are completed now (13-all  inner frame support done.jpg)
12. The top platform is carefully placed on the supports ( 014-top platform installed.jpg and 015-top platform installed front view.jpg)
13. Next some double sided tape to hold the Styrofoam in place when I put the tank on it. (016-double sided tape.jpg)
14 Styrofoam installed. This will conform to any irregularities in the plywood and allow the tank some stress relief due to those irregularities.  (017-styro installed.jpg)
15. Some back braces are installed. (018-back side braces.jpg) These will hold a front brace in plce because the tank has no center brace and I just want to be that much safer. These will also hold up a  custom filtration and lighting system. That will be another post!!
16. The Tank makes it's first appearance (019-tank arrrivves.jpg)
17. Front and center brace installed (020-front brace installed.jpg)

Almost done....next post

Brine

18. Detail of the front brace (021-front brace detail.jpg)
19. Basic frame done......more to come (022-basic structure complete.jpg)

dan2x38

nice hieght; different... like to see it all finished...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

babblefish1960

Hey Brine, that is quite the description, I suspect that the stand could hold up a few tonnes of weight, the 90 gallon should be quite stable up there. Not much in the way of space under there for any extra taks you may give into, but hey, we can't all want a million tanks. :)

I imagine that the dimension of the wood used is how you are accounting for any racking forces in the stand, I have to admit that the setup looks quite good, can't wait to see it in operation.

Don't forget to level the stand on all three planes. ;)

darkdep

Holy crap, that's a lot of support under that stand.  You could fill the tank with lead and that stand would be fine.  Guess you'd have to get some leadfish.

Quatro

Wow.  The next best thing to having a solid block of wood under your tank.  Good job.

bitterman

OMG and I thought the stand I built for art was over built. That think is Well!!! Totall over engineered.

Bruce

hamstercaster

Very nice stand and like many others who commented, I was also thinking that there might be a bit to much wood lol.  If a tornado was ever to hit your area, I'm sure all would be gone but the tank.  Looks like this thing could survive a nuclear bomb lol.  Very nicely built though  :D

Brine

HAHAHAHAHA yes it is overkill but I figured that over built at no extra charge (the wood was free) as opposed to a new tank/carpet/floor/ and the law suit that the buildings owners might bring if it failed....no contest overbuild is much cheaper.

I also have no intention of putting another tank or any of the pump/electrical under the tank so I did not need to make room there for that stuff.
I hope to have the filtration system and the lighting done in the next few weeks. The only thing holding me back is a lack of funds. I have the plumbing and electrical planned and I have a good deal of the supplies I'll need. I just have to make a trip to Canus Plastics to get a few odds and ends and then the next step cam be completed.

Brine

here it is set up and running...not such a good shot...I'll try to get a better one soon
I put 7 scissor tailed Rasboras in and my four clown loaches and one rainbow shark. I need someone to clean up algea...a dwarf pleco I think and a couple of schools of tetras or the like (more Rasboras perhaps)