Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ghost Shrimp with eggs

Started by CMW, September 04, 2007, 07:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMW

Some of you may recall when Mr. Sharky (now living with Audioslave) was kicking back in my jaccuzzi.  While he was there I bought some ghost shrimp to encourage him to eat.  After he moved to his new home I found three ghost shrimp in the jaccuzzi. 

I moved them to the tank and there still appears to be one.  The only fish in the tank are two Shubunkins who are not large enough to eat her.  Though if there are baby shrimp I am sure they will make quick work of them.

A few days ago I noticed what I thought were eggs under her tail.  I googled ghost shrimp reproduction and lo and behold what do I see, but exactly what I see in my tank.

My questions is how an shrimp that has been and only shrimp for at least a mnth would have eggs.  I see three possible answers.  One, they have a long "gestation" (unlikely).  Two, they are asexual reproducers (not very likely).  Or third, that they are like chickens and will produce unfertilized eggs that won't do anything (seems the most likely).  Does anyone know which it is?

It would be sad for her if the eggs don't hatch because she is working so hard at keeping them.  I have noticed two changes in her behaviour.  The first is that she is staying much higher in the tank, hanging out on the plants and the driftwood.  The second is that she appears more aggressive about food.  When I put an algea pellet in she goes to it almost immediately, grabbing it, dragging it and the settling down to "chew" on it.

Have other had this happen, or have your diner's not left any "left overs"?

Cheers,
c

zapisto

hello
depend of the specie you have (AN Yes Ghost shrimp is not a spacie :)  ) , i know some macrobrachium do have a sperm bag, where they can store some sperm for futur use.
also if the egg are not fertile , she wil drop them after 2 to 3 days.

Are you sure you dont have a male somewhere in ?

CMW

She has had them for probably around 5 days, since I noticed them.  I did put three in the tank, but have only seen one.  When they first went in there was a piggy of a goldfish in there that was big enough to eat them. 

Of course with ghost shrimp only seeing one may simply mean that I have only seen one at a time and there could be more.  There was not much in the tank to begin with though so it would have been hard to hide.  Now that we have added plants and driftwood there are more hidey places.

If the eggs are fertilized is it possible that I will get little baby shrimp?  I have to admit that I have grown rather fond of this shrimp.  She seems to have more personality then the two Shubunkins.

zapisto

Quote from: CMW on September 04, 2007, 01:12:40 PM
If the eggs are fertilized is it possible that I will get little baby shrimp?  I have to admit that I have grown rather fond of this shrimp.  She seems to have more personality then the two Shubunkins.

you can sure raise them
again depend on the species you have you may not or may (what i doubt) need backish water.
so you have let say 90% of chance they dont need salt water (a picture for ident should help)

to raise them you need to achieve those condition :
- fishless tank
- micro food available
- no other ghost shimp in the larva tank.

I raise 2 species of ghost already.
good luck