Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Got extra fish...

Started by rmicroys, September 02, 2007, 04:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmicroys

Let all the fish in my 125 gallon play on their own, and left to their own devices (don't go out of my way to do anything for them, ie, no specific fry food in to the tank or anything) and I'm now likely always end up with Black Blue Neon Platy and Mickey Mouse Swords that I can give away.  The problem is that there are only 4-5 at most to give away at any time when they get to the appropriate maturity.  I've got a bunch of platy now that are about getting to the size to give away so that my tank doesn't get flooded with new ones as they too could start breeding.  What do people do with small numbers of live breeding adolescent fish?  I can only give so many away to my immediate friends before their tanks are all full of the same fish and they breed like rabbits.

babblefish1960

Some folks keep their livebearers with a more predatory fish where fry are concerned, some use the fry to feed their cichlids, and those that really don't like to bother at all, keep either only females or only males of their livebearers. When you mix livebearers with water, they eventually displace all the water, so you may want to split them up. :)

succinctfish

You could always bring them to an OVAS meeting and sell them in the mini auction we have each time.  :)

rmicroys

I figured that my Angels were large enough to want to eat all the fry.  Once, I did get a bunch of Amano shrimp and they nearly ate them all in about 2 minutes.  It was a slaughter.  So I figured I was all set...  Now there are constantly little fry swimming about, turned out the angels are just slow and lazy to want to go after them (probably I'm a little generous feeding them, as I don't particularly want them going after all my shrimp either).  The other issue is that I have too much foliage in my tank, so they can live and eat in their own comfort in the java moss, vallisenaria and wisteria. 

OrchidNow

Or you can give them to people like me who is going broke buying fish and having them die on them. :(

Seriously though, I would love to have some if you are giving them away. Although if you've read my posts lately, my fish have been dieing off at a rapid rate. I'm at the point of giving up. I've been trying out everyone's suggestions but nothing doing o far. Another one died yesterday. Maybe it's the shock of my driving....them back to my house.