Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Planted Tanks

Started by CarlClassen, January 17, 2005, 10:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlClassen

I want to eventually set up a planted tank. Is it best to go with a wide tank or a tall tank? I figure wide so i could add depth to the display and it would be easier to light since the light doesn't have to go as deep. Any suggestions?

BigDaddy

Wide

More room to aquascape, and more light will reach the bottom in tanks that aren't too tall.

NjOyRiD

bigdaddy: my co2 injection work now hehe :)
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

BigDaddy

Cool

I think a good tank to learn to aquascape on is a 40 gallon breeder

36 x 18 x 16 is a nice size.  The 30 gallon is only 12 inches high.. but that means pruning stem plants a lot more regularly.

Only down side to 3 ft tanks is lighting is more expensive than 4 ft tanks.

CarlClassen

Thanks BD, same conclusion i came too. Wide is better. When looking at the tanks sizes at http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/tanks-us.htm i figured that the best tanks for planted aquariums is 15, 30 breeder, 40 breeder, 50, 75.

Then i was thinking about the major costs of tanks, which seems to be the lights. And as you said the 4 foot tanks are cheaper to light since you can use standard 4 foot bulbs :)

Do you even need filtering on planted tanks? You want as much nitrate as possible???

And what is the point of using CO? I know it makes the plants grow better but doesn't that just mean you have to prune a lot more? I would rather have healthy slow growing plants, less maintenance!

BigDaddy

You still need filtration on a planted tank, but you don't need as much bio filtration, as ammonia is the preferred nitrogen source for plants.

You will still need good mechanical filtration though.  No chemical filtration is needed or wanted for that matter.

CO2 is only a requirement in high light.  The reason why is that it can become the limiting factor for plant growth (N P K and traces all in abundance by dosing), which can cause algae blooms.  If the plants don't have the CO2, they can't use the nutrients in the water, and the algae can.

CarlClassen

The mechanical filtration i guess will make the water more crystal clear making for a better looking tank.

RIGHT! i knew about the algae but forgot. Thanks!

BigDaddy

PS - You don't want lots of nitrate for a planted tank, but you do need some under good growth.

Maintaining between 5 and 10 ppm is normal for a planted tank.

NjOyRiD

big daddy: thanx for the info..AGAIN :P
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO