Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

weird thing in my water...

Started by gonna_b_no_1, August 14, 2007, 09:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonna_b_no_1

It's only in my unfiltered african dwarf frog tank.

Kinda looks like a fluff from a dandylion "sans" the seed at the end, and it looks like it's actually anchored.  Sorta like a coral in a sense..... Know what i mean?

Doesn't seem to be harming any of the frogs, but I have noticed the one turned into about 10......

BigDaddy

Hydra... and it will eat your fry

Do a goggle search.  If you aren't breeding anymore its not a big deal, but if you are you are going to want to get rid of it ASAP

BigDaddy

Looks something like this right?

[attachment deleted by admin]

gonna_b_no_1

yep, very similar to that actually, but without the "arms"  lol

They're in my frog tank, and it'll get a nuking this week, I was planning on conditioning them soon for a few spawns....

wonder why they're appearing now, after 3 years of me having tanks.....any ideas?

dpatte

how big is this 'fluff', and where is it anchored. If its tiny, it could be hydra, but maybe you are talking about a fungus that might be growing on driftwood?

gonna_b_no_1

Ok, well I've pretty much accepted the fact that I have hydra in my tank.

Now onto the solving of my said problem.

1-unfiltered 10g with 3 african dwarf frogs, and 2 tadpoles...numerous eggs at any time

2-I bought some stuff with copper in it, but it said to NOT use it with amphibians....sooo...

What are my options for getting rid of Hydra, and how did they get there in the first place????

Fishnut

I have the same problem in my CPD tank.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the fish out of the tank and add a few heaters to heat the tank to over 100 degrees.  According to a lot of readings, this will take care of the hydra.  There's also the hydrogen peroxide method that supposedly doesn't harm fish.  I'm going to do an experiment with a small chunk of java moss to see if the peroxide wipes it out along with the hydra.  I have a feeling it will because the peroxide is also used to get rid of hair algae.

I was told that to coper safe is something that should only be used in extreme circumstances.  You wouldn't be able to put frogs back in the tank for a very long time after treating it with copper safe.

dpatte

Some gouramis will eat hydra. if they would coexist with the other tank mates, this might be a good idea.

Also, hydra are natural freshwater animals related to the corals, so unless you are trying to raise small fry in the tank, they really arent such a big concern. If they dont find food (brine shrimp) they will slowly die out - or at least this is my own experience.

zapisto

flubendazole will do the trick
but it will kill any snail also.

plecoL83

Flag fish will also eat hydra but any fry you have will be eaten as well...

gonna_b_no_1

my problem isn't so much the killing off of snails...snails are not a problem..i have tons of mts and they're the only ones I want to have. (with 9 other tanks..mts are not an issue)

it's that they're amphibians for starters, and secondly, the tadpoles are actually at different stages of growth from egg to metamophasizing "back legs" stage.

IF I was to treat the tank with some copper based med, it'll kill everything in the tank and make my frogs sick.

IF i get any fish into the tank, they'll eat the eggs and tads....

BUT If i don't treat it, I'm losing tads along the way and with African dwarf frogs going into "zen" state all the time, could hydra actually be feeding off my frogs too? 

So, I'm at a point now where I'm feeling Darned if i do and darned if i don't.

SO from this point, what should I do? 

Fishnut

I'm scooping out all my danios and cranking the heat up.  Can you tank the frogs out temporarily?  You might have to sacrifice a few eggs in the process, but the frogs will be better off in the long run.

dan2x38

Quote from: Fishnut on September 10, 2007, 08:20:19 PM
I'm scooping out all my danios and cranking the heat up.  Can you tank the frogs out temporarily?  You might have to sacrifice a few eggs in the process, but the frogs will be better off in the long run.

I read to kill hydra with heat crank to 110 hold it there for only 5 minutes... of course pull the fish, frogs, & inverts plants will be safe...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

StylinT

Well there only in a 10 gallon tank why dont ya just go pick up a new clean one an start the tank over again