Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plant Substrate

Started by Nelson, January 19, 2005, 12:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelson

Can someone tell me if a 75% crushed coral / 25% stone substrate combination would be suitable for growing plants??

BigDaddy

Dont think about injecting CO2 down the line.  It'll dissolve the coral and your kH will sky rocket

Nelson

Quote from: "BigDaddy"Dont think about injecting CO2 down the line.  It'll dissolve the coral and your kH will sky rocket
Considering my knowledge in this area you won't be surprised to know I wasn't considering that at all.  In fact, aside from ferts occasionaly, I'm striving for a maintenance free planted tank.

gvv

Crashed coral is fine for Rift lake cichlids and not good for dwarf cichlids (SA and west african), which prefer soft water. Just take this into consideration...

Nelson

Quote from: "gvv"Crashed coral is fine for Rift lake cichlids and not good for dwarf cichlids (SA and west african), which prefer soft water. Just take this into consideration...

That could be a problem since all of my tanks have the same mixture, and my 3" and 4" tanks have had dwarfs in them for some time now.  I'm about to make a major change in my 120 and I think I will go with a fine gravel or course sand (not pool filter sand) if I can find some.