Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

complete tank repair ? about glass cleaning

Started by PoisonJello, September 07, 2007, 05:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoisonJello

well yesterday i desided to buy a used 25g Hagen tank (was told it was a 30g but anyways), i was told no leaks but it leaks really bad and between the glass it is weak.
the tanks needs to be taken apart (its not just the inside silicone that is bad), I read on here some say its just silicone that holds the tank together and others say its some type of cement/adhesive
If it is not to hard i want to take the glass apart and fix it properly, I have resiliconed tanks before that is easy but i have never taken one completely apart
any recommendations on best way to do this?
also silicone, cement, or adhesive to put it back together with?

beowulf

Personally for the trouble, I would ask for my money back as the person lied to you.  From what I understand you are going to need lots of clamps etc and maybe an extra set of hands.  Lots of work and time  :(

PoisonJello

well the tank came with top, filter, stand for $35 so I don't mind having to fix it, just want to know the stuff i need to use to put the glass back together? 
I have the proper silicone but after reading some of the posts on here I wasn't sure if it is just silicone used to put the glass together with

darkdep

It's just silicone.  There isn't anything better on the planet to glue glass together than silicone :)

PoisonJello

perfect...that is all i needed to know  ;)

PoisonJello

Have a new question about tank repair
Since i am taking the tank completely apart is it ok to use some type of glass cleaner on the glass as long as i rinse it really well before i put it back together?
Would like an easy way to clean hard water stains and such
Thanks for any info  :)

Laura

I'm just guessing here, but would vinegar take care of the worst of it?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

PoisonJello

vinegar works ok but i would like to use something that works better  ;)

Toss

75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

damarech

Also , before you apply the silicon clean the area with Isopropyl (aka rubbing alcohol).This will give you the best bond as it will kill any bacteria This is a neutral that leaves no residue
Make sure all the old silicon is removed ,as the new silicon will not completely adhere.

PoisonJello

well i read on another site, to use acetone to remove any old silicone

the tank is all apart i just need to finish cleaning all the glass before i put it back together

the site said acetone will dissolve the old silicone and i know it is a lot stronger then isopropyl but it smells the same just stronger

anyway thanks for the info