Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My Black Compressicep Spawned :-)

Started by FishBuddy, June 23, 2007, 12:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishBuddy

I noticed something "fishy"  between a pair of young black compressiceps in the past few days.  They hang around the end of a mopani driftwood where there's a small hollow entrance.  Today, when I got home from work, I've found the following :-)

These fish are young (by their standard) and I don't expect them to breed that soon.  The largest male is no more than 1.5 inch long and the spawning female is around 1.25 inch.  These are fish from the Spencer Jack order last October.

You could make out the eggs behind the left fin of the female... :-)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

sniggir

very cool... I love these fish... keep us up to date with and new developments!
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

oenology

Very cool - hopefully they will be good parents!

FishBuddy

So far so good...  All the eggs are still there and the female is doing a great job protecting the eggs.  Whenever there's a threat, she swam into the log and use her entire body to protect the eggs...  This is fascinating to say the least....  :)

[/li]

FishBuddy

To keep the long story short, the last batch ended up in disaster as no fry ever got hatched :(

The good news is that I have 2 females laid eggs about 1.5 week ago.  Both batches have hatched :)

I've managed to moved the 2 batches (each batch consists of ~10 fry) into a nursery tank...  All the fry still have the egg yolk attached to them but are swimming nicely.  Hope that I have better luck this time...

[/li]

bitterman

Quote from: FishBuddy on September 19, 2007, 11:18:48 PM
To keep the long story short, the last batch ended up in disaster as no fry ever got hatched :(

The good news is that I have 2 females laid eggs about 1.5 week ago.  Both batches have hatched :)

I've managed to moved the 2 batches (each batch consists of ~10 fry) into a nursery tank...  All the fry still have the egg yolk attached to them but are swimming nicely.  Hope that I have better luck this time...

Wow congradultaions!!!! They can be very sensative and are very slow growers so good luck. My yellow calvus were 1.25" and they were 1 year old when I got them from steveOOO, they have spawned, but the fronts eat the fry.

Bruce

PaleoFishGirl

Congratulations indeed!!! Have fun watching them grow...slowly!
Can you get any pics? Even pics of the parents would be appreciated :)

FishBuddy

Here's a pic of the 2 week fry...

[attachment deleted by admin]

[/li]