Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How much do you overfilter?

Started by RossW, October 01, 2007, 11:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

I have a 90g, mostly Malawi tank, which is currently serviced by 2 Fluval 404's which are each rated for a 100 gallons.  Thus I am at least double over filtering.  I am considering an Eheim 2028 which is rated to 158 gallons to replace the 404s.

How much if any are you guys overfiltering?  Is it directly related to your over population?

Thanx,
Ross

beowulf

On the 65g I had a fluval 404 and the smallest of the emperor biowhell filters.  I just got my hands on a eheim 2028 and will be using that and a 404 on my 110g community and moving my rena xp2 from the 110g to the 65g with the 404.

darkdep

Filtering is weird.  The rating on the filter is only a (VERY) rough guesstimate as technically, to calculate such a thing, you'd need to know the bioload...

Africans generate more bioload than, say, a school of neon tetras.  So, a "100 gallon" full of Neons and a "100 gallon" full of Africans requires very different filtration.  So, technically, the phrase "overfiltration" is wrong...you're filtering at the level required for the fish you keep.

Example:  I run Magnum 350's on my 75's...and found I was running into random illnesses which I attributed to water quality.  I threw on an additional AC50 to each tank and the problems vanished.  Yet, a 350 is rated for a tank up to 100 gallons.

woodendude

I currently run an Ehiem 2213 and a Rena xp3 on a 100gal. and an Ehiem 2026 Pro 2 and a Rena xp3 on my 129 gal.  not sure of Ehiem's outputs but the Renas are 175 gph.

bitterman

I really over filter my tanks. My 195 has my DIY trickle filter (about 1000 GPH turn over in the sump), it should be good for alot more then it is being used for and I also have an XP3 on the tank (355GPH if memeory serves me corectly).

On my new tank I have over 1 cubic foot of Bio Blocks and a bunch of floss. The turnover in the tank will be over 1000 GPH.

Too much turnove and breeding can be a problem as eggs don't get firtilized by the male.

Bruce.

freshwater

usually 3 - 4 times the ratings 

artw

10x the tank an hour is a rough guideline I used when I had m.c's

gmann

On my 135g I run an FX5, Aquaclear110 and an Emperror 400 which is for arguement sake close to the 10x an hour rate. Since adding the 110 several months ago, I dont have to touch the FX5 as often. 

sniggir

on my 160g I had a  ehiem 2028, 2026... emp 400, and a AC 110......and now on my 75g corner I have 2 AC 110, and a ehiem ecco, and soon a fluval 405.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

hamstercaster

Jeff1192

An eheim 2026 and Aquaclear 110 on my 90 gallon.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

mseguin

Fluval 404 on the 58, Eheim 2217 and Fluval 204 on the 90 (Community)