Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Shrimp exercise!

Started by washefuzzy, September 18, 2007, 12:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

Iceman

More well spent taxpayer money. ::)

plecoL83

jodes22

Jeff1192

One....if that was done in Canada, I don't even want to know how much of my tax money that used.
Two....who has that much time on their hands that they having nothing better to do than put shrimp on treadmills.   :P
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

babblefish1960

Imagine the thought and engineering that must have gone into figuring out how to make a treadmill that would work for a shrimp, some research grants and the bureaucrats that fund them are clearly retarded.

beowulf

From the looks of the site it seems to be a private company and American.

washefuzzy

Quote from: babblefish1960 on September 18, 2007, 08:37:46 PM
the bureaucrats that fund them are clearly retarded.

;D ;D No truer words were spoken!

BigMomma

Actually I find this quite fascinating and the fellow who is credited for this video is David Scholnick and no its not Canadian.  :) It was made a laboratory in Charleston, South Carolina.
Interesting read http://www.pacificu.edu/as/biology/faculty/DavidScholnick.cfm

RoxyDog

obviously they have nothing better to do...?   ???
let's see, should we cure a disease today?  nah.  let's make a treadmill for a shrimp!   ::)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Aquaviewer

I'm surprised by the generalizations that are being made about the research documented here with few people looking into the rational for science behind the video.  In this case systems such as the treadmill, as ridiculous as they may look at first glance, are used to monitor oxygen consumption, metabolism and energetics in various aquatic species in the lab. 

Basic science is the foundation for much of our current understanding of both animal and human physiology and health.  Take the guy who was crazy enough to spend his days searching for giant squid so he could study their axons and just happened to lay the ground work for mapping the human nervous system.  Or more recently, crazy experiments which put water wings on rats are part of research into depression and have lead to discoveries of neuronal regeneration in the brain...... providing hope for people with degenerative brain diseases such as Alzheimer's.

To relate it to our hobby, the results of experiments such as the treadmill have contributed to such ridiculous things as gaining a better understanding of aquatic organism physiology and health, and resulted in improvements to the quality of fish food and the effectiveness of fish medications to name but a few. 

Gee I sure hope no one is spending tax dollars on that.......
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

babblefish1960

Very good point aquaviewer, it sort of takes the wind out of my sails regarding bureaucrats, no fun, but a valid point nonetheless.  It is, after all, the experiments from all sorts of imaginings that gives us the interesting lives we have.

BigMomma

Excellent points Aquaviewer and its right in line with this Club's mandate; to further the study of all forms of aquatic life.

OrchidNow

Do people really believe that if the Govt have extra money, that they will spend it on medical things only? They won't be allowed to!!!

I remembered someone wanted to changed things so that the general public have to spend a minimal fee for asking for something from the Govt. That got shot down by a group of lobbyist.

And today one can go into any Govt department and asked for information (based on the Access of information act) for free. And this cost individual departments money and time to do this. Which basically translates to you and I. OK...enough ranting. :(

As for the shrimp on the tradmill, I don't get it....but my son thought it was cool!

jodes22

Quote from: BigMomma on September 18, 2007, 09:53:52 PM
Actually I find this quite fascinating and the fellow who is credited for this video is David Scholnick and no its not Canadian.  :) It was made a laboratory in Charleston, South Carolina.
Interesting read http://www.pacificu.edu/as/biology/faculty/DavidScholnick.cfm

Very interesting... I take back my previous comment! ;)