Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

fish suggestions for 10g

Started by irene, September 23, 2007, 11:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irene

I need a few more fish suggestions, this time for a 10g planted.  Currently houses about 20 cherry shrimp. I'm hoping to get a colony started (of cherry shrimp) is there any fish that would not eat baby cherry shrimp that could go in with them?

Irene

dan2x38

My son added some Mountain Minnows and he loves them... We are adding Amano shrimp in there too... it also has 5 coreis... Is it heavily planted? There is a piece of driftwood & a small decoration for the baby shrimp to hide... also some plants starting to root... in my other tanks I've watched my cories swim beside the baby cherry shrimps...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

beowulf

You would want something small like the celestial pearl danios or one of the small rabora species.  They can be very nice looking fish and due to their size you can add more and not worry about them eating the cherry shrimp.

dan2x38

Quote from: beowulf on September 23, 2007, 01:32:01 PM
You would want something small like the celestial pearl danios or one of the small rabora species.  They can be very nice looking fish and due to their size you can add more and not worry about them eating the cherry shrimp.

Irene I have some Celestial Pearl Danios they will be grown out in a few weeks.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

charlie

Quote from: irene on September 23, 2007, 11:58:44 AM
I need a few more fish suggestions, this time for a 10g planted.  Currently houses about 20 cherry shrimp. I'm hoping to get a colony started (of cherry shrimp) is there any fish that would not eat baby cherry shrimp that could go in with them?

Irene
I have harlequin rasboras with mine & they don`t seem to bother them.
I also keep albino & sterbai cories in the same tank.
Regards

irene

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've decided to just add some filter feeding wood shrimp for now and wait until the cherry shrimp are actually breeding before adding any fish, just too be safe.

Irene

Laura

Check out petshrimp.net

If you do sign up on the forum, get a feel for it first as they are quite strict about a number of rules.

Generally they suggest invert only tanks and frown on keeping fish with shrimp.  IMO most fish will predate on dwarf shrimp given the opportunity, especially baby shrimp.  Given that, I keep norman's lampeye killis with mine and haven't noticed them catch anything, but they really don't pick off the ground for food.  Occassionally I'll see one chase a shrimp, but I've never seen one catch a shrimp.  I would suspect that most killis are not shrimp-safe though.

There are some posts at petshrimp.net that indicate CPD are not shrimp-safe, although I haven't tried it.  My feeling is that if your tank is very heavily planted with lots of microorganisms for the shrimp to feed on,  then you could mix some fish with shrimp and enough shrimp would survive to breed.  You will likely notice some behaviour differences as IME they tend to not swim in the water column if there are fish with them.

I like keeping brig snails with mine, but I realize that's not everyone's cup of tea. ;)
700 gal pond - Rosy reds